The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Anyone after a cheap NA?

benedwards64

Hi all,

First of all I'd like to say that this isn't a for sale thread! After a lot of heart-ache and money I finally got royally fed up with my Supra last week and chopped it in for an Impreza (yes, I know!)

Anyway, the trader I part-ex'd it for has put it up on eBay for 2k!

If anyone's after a cheap Supra that's after a bit of work, read on:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230689795500&category=18290&_trksid=p5197.c0.m619

I bought the Supra in May from member on here. It was cheap, had little in the way of service history and ran like a bag of spanners, but I wanted a wanted a bit of a project and I thought it was worth a punt.

Since I bought it I did the following:

Brand new Bilstein Yellows with Chris Wilson fast road springs

17" TT Alloys

Toyo T-Sport rear tyres (Pirellis on the front still in pretty good condition)

New clutch

Replaced damaged front caliper

However, and this is why I got so fed up with it....

There is a wobble/vibration that I haven't been able to cure. As I said, the car ran terribly when I bought it, and a full service (plugs, dizzy, leads, sparks, oil, filter) helped it run better, but something is still out of balance. It happens dependent on engine speed, so nothing to do with the prop shaft etc. I thought it could be an out of balance flywheel, but when the clutch was replaced a couple of weeks ago I paid to haver the flywheel skimmed on both sides and balanced. I also had the cam pulley checked for balance. However, when I put it all back together the wobble was still there - James at ToyotaGT did loads of work trying to work out what's wrong and concluded that, whatever it is, it's engine related. There's nothing else it could be.

So, it still runs fine apart from this wobble, which I imagine at some point will get worse. This is why I got fed up and got rid, I lost interest completely and can't be bothered to chase the problem any further or pay to put a replacement engine in. However, I thought I'd post it up here in case anyone wants a well-sorted shell with some very tasty bits, either to put a replacement NA engine or maybe for a TT conversion. Other than the engine issue it's an excellent Supra. As I said, I'm in no way affiliated with the trader, I just thought this could be useful to someone :)

I'm happy to answer any questions anyone has about the car :)