The mkiv Supra Owners Club

HID'S blinding other cars

Guest suprageek

Guest suprageek

Recently got some facelift headlights for my supra, the hid's were already on my supra they are 6k ones but now they seem to be blinding other drivers at night,i took the car to the garage cos i thought they needed aligned but they were fine, anyone any ideas y there like this with the facelift headlights? or how to stop it without taking them out? cheers

Did you tell the garage that they were blinding oncoming cars or did you just ask for them to be aligned?

Surely you should be able to lower their aim a little, that's what I would've done.

There must be loads of cars on here with facelift lights with hid's that get through the mot.

Guest suprageek

i told him they were but to be honest he was a nob i think ill take them to a different garage tomorrow, im sick of getting the fingers from pensioners in there yaris's lol

I don't have any problems with mine and I have 6k which came from knightracer with the pre facelift light with clear lenses on . I thought you only have that problem when cars have hazed glass which sends the beam here there and everywhere. Ricky right though, there not designed to have them in the first place

The reason HID dazzle other drivers in std headlights designed for halogen bulbs is due to them being designed for use in focused light units, IE projector type, at the very least fit the ones with a shroud over the end of the bulb, this tends to disburse the glare somewhat.
If the OP has facelift headlights then it should have projector lense, so should be fine.

When will people understand its not just the fact that the headlamps have projectors, its more to do with the design of the cut off shield inside of the projector not to mention the fact halogen projectors have totally different optics to true Xenon/HIDs so the light is distributed much differently.

That said the Jspec headlamps usually do an OK job at emitting the light where it should. My suggestion is to get them properly aligned or just pull them out completely and put in some Osram night breakers or Philips equivalent.