The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Ebay pulley sets

Dim Sum

You'll have no issues with those pulleys. They are made the same way from the same materials as all lightweight pulley sets. They don't need to be particularly accurate (Although the fact they are CNC made will take care of the accuracy). The only lightweight one not to touch would be the crank pulley.

The ones that Paul sells will be lighter, well the PS one certainly will be, as it has a few holes in it to help lower the weight :)

I don't even know what a CNC machine is. I must be worse then a blind chimp :(

Really dont see how you could mess up making these as it doesn't get much easier

Here you go, the first pic is a lathe and the second is a 5 axis machining center

CNC = computer numerical control

Bridgeport-CNC-Lathe.jpg

5-axis-cnc-vertical-machining-center-556297.jpg

I wouldnt want wobbly pulleys on my car as over time its going to vibrate and cause

a premature failure, more than likely the bearing.

Just buy a well made set, cheaply made out of poor quality material just isn't worth

doing in my opinion

If the alloy isn't good quality then they must be lying about what they are using in the Ad. From what I remember t6 6061 is pretty good stuff. I'm sure that's what we used in the work and it came up lovely.

So theres for and against for the items, i guess buy at own risk.......... i'm going to give them a ring to make sure if it is t6 6061.

Really dont see how you could mess up making these as it doesn't get much easier

Here you go, the first pic is a lathe and the second is a 5 axis machining center

CNC = computer numerical control

It's very easy to get these wrong to be honest. By the looks of them they will be done in 2 operations. After they have been turned there will go onto a machining centre to be finished. If there not clamped square then everything done in the 2nd op is going to be out of position which will make it wobble when it's fitted. A small discrepancy will be magnified when it's rotating.

It's very easy to get these wrong to be honest. By the looks of them they will be done in 2 operations. After they have been turned there will go onto a machining centre to be finished. If there not clamped square then everything done in the 2nd op is going to be out of position which will make it wobble when it's fitted. A small discrepancy will be magnified when it's rotating.

Sorry Hodge but i disagree, this is basic engineering and most skilled engineers could do these

with one arm tied behind their back.

If its not clamped square for the second op then they their not very good and wouldn't get a job

sweeping the floor in places i've worked.

Sorry Hodge but i disagree, this is basic engineering and most skilled engineers could do these

with one arm tied behind their back.

If its not clamped square for the second op then they their not very good and wouldn't get a job

sweeping the floor in places i've worked.

Well then were down to quality of workmanship then arnt we. We've sent parts out place to be machined in India and they couldn't hit tolerances we can easily hit. Who's to say that the guys doing these are skilled engineers like ourselves.

Well then were down to quality of workmanship then arnt we. We've sent parts out place to be machined in India and they couldn't hit tolerances we can easily hit. Who's to say that the guys doing these are skilled engineers like ourselves.

I think Dunk was referring to the "easy to get these wrong" part. IMO it's not at all easy to get these wrong if you have even the slightest idea of what you are doing. It's not as if the tolerances are going to be tight on this sort of work.

If the alloy isn't good quality then they must be lying about what they are using in the Ad. From what I remember t6 6061 is pretty good stuff. I'm sure that's what we used in the work and it came up lovely.

I don't know what the ones I tested were machine from, I never tested them for alloy content. I still have one as a overweight, so I'll run a PMI, test on it the next time I am home. I wanted to be sure they were strong enough to survive in a car for track use. The dye test results were poor enough to make me concerned about their strength. If you combine this weakness with a slightly off centre out of balance machining, then in my opinion it was a recipe for accelerated failure. For the few grams of difference in rotating mass theses thing make they are not worth the risk. They are just poor quality unnecessary engine bay bling, not suited to a high performance engine bay.