The mkiv Supra Owners Club

HKS EVC 6 install help

Samurai 20V

Hi guys,

Need some help.. I fitted my EVC 6 this weekend, I plumbed it as per the pics below, which I hope is correct?

I plumbed the input from the 1st turbo compressor housing and the outlet to the top of the actuator shown below.. The VSV is capped as shown below...

At either boost setting (0.9bar or 1.15bar) issue is that the boost is staying constant at 0.77bar throughout the rev band..

Seems as though the 2nd turbo is not coming online, cant feel the kick..

Am I missing something, cos I am scratching my head here.. I did a search, cant pick up anything..

I have the basic settings on the EVC, the boost maps are the items I have not set up, but it should be picking up the boost right?

Any help?

Is the harness plug supposed to the VSV supposed to be left on or unplugged?

Edited by Samurai 20V (see edit history)

Yeah that's definitely right bud. I can only assume there is something wrong with the boost controller or the way it is setup.

Have you turned the gain setting up?

Edit: By the way, those caps dont look too clever. Remember there will be over a bar of boost behind the one on the top of the rats nest. Once the engine is warm it will be very supple so will probably pop right off. Best to get a stock clip on there to hold it in place :)

Yeah that's definitely right bud. I can only assume there is something wrong with the boost controller or the way it is setup.

Have you turned the gain setting up?

Edit: By the way, those caps dont look too clever. Remember there will be over a bar of boost behind the one on the top of the rats nest. Once the engine is warm it will be very supple so will probably pop right off. Best to get a stock clip on there to hold it in place :)

Thanks for input Scott..

HKS call the gain offset I think, I have not set that up as yet... Will try that as well..

I will have a check at the piping, replace with all new items and then complete setting up the unit and take it from there..

I have cable ties on the caps for now, will replace with clamps to be sure...Those pics are borrowed from the forum..

Thanks for input Scott..

HKS call the gain offset I think, I have not set that up as yet... Will try that as well..

I will have a check at the piping, replace with all new items and then complete setting up the unit and take it from there..

I have cable ties on the caps for now, will replace with clamps to be sure...Those pics are borrowed from the forum..

Ahh, cable ties will probably be fine but they will need to be able to handle some heat.

Without the gain (offset) being set you won't see a boost increase. I had the same issue with my EBC a few months ago :)

I had mine set at 56, give it a go around the 40 mark and work your way up.

Ahh, cable ties will probably be fine but they will need to be able to handle some heat.

Without the gain (offset) being set you won't see a boost increase. I had the same issue with my EBC a few months ago :)

I had mine set at 56, give it a go around the 40 mark and work your way up.

Mine is still on 0 for low boost, and 10 I think for high boost...

Will give it try now, thanks...

Success!!!

Thanks a mill Scott...

Low boost setting 0.89bar

High boost 1.08bar... Need to fine tune the offset to get a bit close to the 1.2bar mark..

AFR's are reading in the 10's on WOT, thats on Japan 100 octane..

For the first time I had to anchor the brakes to slow the car down, its a totally different car..What a difference..

My wife got cramps in her legs, she was trying to hit the brakes on the passenger side!

Gonna neaten the wiring and hoses up in the weekend..

Next step, LSD and cam upgrade!

2JZGTE FTW!

Success!!!

Thanks a mill Scott...

Low boost setting 0.89bar

High boost 1.08bar... Need to fine tune the offset to get a bit close to the 1.2bar mark..

AFR's are reading in the 10's on WOT, thats on Japan 100 octane..

For the first time I had to anchor the brakes to slow the car down, its a totally different car..What a difference..

My wife got cramps in her legs, she was trying to hit the brakes on the passenger side!

Gonna neaten the wiring and hoses up in the weekend..

Next step, LSD and cam upgrade!

2JZGTE FTW!

Woo, glad it's fixed :)

Thks Josh...

The car is seriously alive, I can't believe its the same car... Did you complete yours as yet? If not, get cracking mate...

I can only imagine the joys of a single turbo..

Not yet, still holding at 0.9bar on WOT. I need to fit my HKS EVC-S but the instructions and parts seem quite daunting.

Someone on here was going to do a write up with pictures showing how to do it and set it all up, so I'm going to wait for that then get it done :)

Oh yeah and I also need to get my FCD fitted, so I can actually use the boost controller!

Not yet, still holding at 0.9bar on WOT. I need to fit my HKS EVC-S but the instructions and parts seem quite daunting.

Someone on here was going to do a write up with pictures showing how to do it and set it all up, so I'm going to wait for that then get it done :)

Oh yeah and I also need to get my FCD fitted, so I can actually use the boost controller!

Its not so difficult, I will try to put something together.. At least I can give back to the forum now.. lol...

It does help to read the manual, as you can see by this thread, if I had setup the unit properly we would not be having this conversation :D

FCD/BCC is simple as well, 1 hour job, you get 1bar plus and a bad back from bending to get you head in the passenger footwell..:p

Its not so difficult, I will try to put something together.. At least I can give back to the forum now.. lol...

It does help to read the manual, as you can see by this thread, if I had setup the unit properly we would not be having this conversation :D

FCD/BCC is simple as well, 1 hour job, you get 1bar plus and a bad back from bending to get you head in the passenger footwell..:p

Lol cool. I think I just need to read the manual properly and take my time over it. But as the offer of a guide was there, I thought I'd take the easy option and wait for that :D

No bad back for me when I fit the FCD, I'll get the girlfriend to keep her eye on the lights (Thor FCD) :D

These boost controllers are a bit weird, I thought they would just meet the target boost, the offset would be for some minor fine tuning...

It's quite strange how they work, basically the offset (gain) determins when the boost is adjusted. If the solenoid opened as soon as it saw 1.2bar, you would never see 1.2bar due to the de-pressurisation from the solenoid opening the WG.

Every setup is difference hence why most of the time gain values are different.

When I had mine setup I had the boost set at 1.2bar but I had the gain set quite high so that during the transition it would spike to 1.3bar then settle down to 1.2.

Try that if you want to see an animal ;)

BTW there is no danger to the turbos spiking to 1.3 at 4krpm, the turbos aren't working very hard at those levels. The one thing to keep an eye on there is the AFRs but given that you are seeing 10s you are WELL within what you need to be.

Keep going with the gain till you see a steady 1.2 and a peak hold of around 1.3-1.35. You'll mess yourself when they come online lol.

Lol cool. I think I just need to read the manual properly and take my time over it. But as the offer of a guide was there, I thought I'd take the easy option and wait for that :D

No bad back for me when I fit the FCD, I'll get the girlfriend to keep her eye on the lights (Thor FCD) :D

Lol... Opportunist...

Its all good..

It's quite strange how they work, basically the offset (gain) determins when the boost is adjusted. If the solenoid opened as soon as it saw 1.2bar, you would never see 1.2bar due to the de-pressurisation from the solenoid opening the WG.

Every setup is difference hence why most of the time gain values are different.

When I had mine setup I had the boost set at 1.2bar but I had the gain set quite high so that during the transition it would spike to 1.3bar then settle down to 1.2.

Try that if you want to see an animal ;)

BTW there is no danger to the turbos spiking to 1.3 at 4krpm, the turbos aren't working very hard at those levels. The one thing to keep an eye on there is the AFRs but given that you are seeing 10s you are WELL within what you need to be.

Keep going with the gain till you see a steady 1.2 and a peak hold of around 1.3-1.35. You'll mess yourself when they come online lol.

Thanks Scott. Damn roads are so small in Japan, I need to find a decent stretch to test the car out..

Your explanation makes sense on the offset/gain side of things.. Its a fantastic bit of kit though, instant power at your fingertips..

I will try it out to get it up to 1.2bar, gain is on 56 at the moment so plenty to go...Noted on the AFR, with the Jap fuel should be fine.. In SA have to be careful..

Its coming to winter here now, it is around 15 deg, when it hits the 0deg mark its gonna be fun...

Really enjoyed that blast now, its hard to believe how old this car/technology is...

I forsee fun in the future when I eventually go single...

I have an English version of the user manual in pdf format, if you want a copy drop me an email to the address in my sig below.

Thanks Nic.. The unit came with a English copy, I just had not read it properly..

The car is sorted out now..Just gonna setup the remaining items this weekend..

• 9 months later...

Quick bump, what settings have folk got on their controllers? im stuggling with mine, lots of lag then a huge burst of power.

Setting A for example to get it to hit 1.2 bar the boost is set to 1.15 and the offset (gain) to 100.

Hits a nice steady 1.2, but the turbos seem to really lag.