The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Think I've solved my overheating issues.

hodge

Had a pretty easy night at work tonight so it gave me sone time to think about the overheating issues with the car.

I think I've found the problem.

Check out the picture below.

Even though the A/C rad has need removed there is a 25 row oil cooler and 10 row PAS cooler stopping the fans sucking air through. The oil cooler cores are pretty dense so the fans are struggling.

I'll move them both into the side ducting of the TRD bumper and see how we go but I'm confident this is the issue.

I've got a Greddy 4 row intercooler that sits infront yes JB. So there's a 5" IC then the oil coolers then the rad. I just don't think the fans can pull enough air through that lot. When I'm driving at speed my temps don't move past 80 degrees.

I've got some changed to do with the car over the winter so I'll move them around then.

Are those coolers bolted straight to the front valence John?

Unless there is something wrong with the fans i cant see it being that. Are you running the aap fan setup?

It would be more a problem when your cruising than stationary. Geo is running almost the same setup but with ac and his is fine.

Edited by Lee P (see edit history)

can you guys seriously see john running a fan and viscous coupling? it would ruine his nice engine bay

Sorry, I was assuming he intended to use it, I didn't realise it was a static display ;) Taking the wheel off to change a fuse is one thing, taking the head off every time he goes on a journey is surely quite another? ;)

I'm using the PHR fan setup it's about twice the size of the AAP setup. If I'm in slow moving traffic or slow after some boost pulls the temp creeps up but if I'm on a steady drive then the temps never go over 78-80 degrees.

Another reason why I'm saying this is the issue is my oil cooler isn't cooling my oil very well at all. I'm seeing about 115-125 degrees no matter how I drive. And for such a large cooler that's crazy. I'm going to get a smaller but better quality one like a mocal etc, and put it in the air duct, I'll bin the PAS cooler for something a little more descrete and finally I'm making some spacer rings at work to move the fans forward in the shroud so there closer to the rad. I may even go for a better rad if this doesn't work. I'll take it out for spirited run or 2 and report back but I'm 99% certain it will solve the problem. If not I'll pull the fans out and replace it for a viscous fan and see how we go with that.

Not all electric fans are naff, i was worried when i first changed and kept all my old bits incase i had to change back, they have been faultless though, soon as the ecu switches them on the temps drop right back straight away, Ive sat in London/m25 traffic loads of times with never an issue.

Are your fans the ones that have the large cover with just the two holes for the fans? the way i see them is you don't get much cooling when the fans are not on, the cover stops a lot of the air going though the rad unless the fans are running, mine are simply zip tied to the rad, i get a lot of air flow through the rad when driving about and fans not on.

Id say ducting is the way forward as Chris mentions, mine is only partly ducted but the fans don't seem to have to do much work, if I'm cruising about they never come on, they only come on if I'm in traffic or my foot is down, even then they are never on for long.

I don't get an issue when steady driving at all. The only issue is when I'm on boost a lot (which is most of the time) or stuck in traffic. Wayne had the same fan setup on his supra and a lot of cars in the states are running these with no issues what so ever and are seeing very cool temps even in there hot climate. This seems to point towards another issue apart from the fans being crap.

Whate were the ones on JohnnyG's car? They didn't move enough air, and the panel blocked a huge amount of forward motion air flow, the fact they were blowing hot air FROM the engine bay TO the outside, as ram effect was trying to move air the other way didn't help though. Even with them wired to run the right way they didn't move a great deal of air. Engine driven fans have a virtually unlimited amount of power to play with, compared to any practical electric fan. I run my stock engine driven fan direct, with no viscous, it saps some power, is noisy, but it sure as hell shifts a lot of air :)

Whate were the ones on JohnnyG's car? They didn't move enough air, and the panel blocked a huge amount of forward motion air flow, the fact they were blowing hot air FROM the engine bay TO the outside, as ram effect was trying to move air the other way didn't help though. Even with them wired to run the right way they didn't move a great deal of air. Engine driven fans have a virtually unlimited amount of power to play with, compared to any practical electric fan. I run my stock engine driven fan direct, with no viscous, it saps some power, is noisy, but it sure as hell shifts a lot of air :)

They were crap, Chris. That's what they were!!!

Viscous fan convert here. Hello.

This probably looks to be a multiple of reasons, not just one issue. I would say start again, get things mounted better, ducted better, switch back to viscous, I dont see the whole point of an engine bay that looks better without it. I would rather stare at stuff that works.

I can see oil temps of 120-130 whilst drifting the nuts off mine up by the limiter. But then my drifter dont really do mileage and gets the oil dropped probably every couple of hundred miles in terms of actual mileage vs usage.

Re your oil temps Hodge, what size hoses and fitting are you using? Are you still running the stock oil to water heat exchanger on the oil filter take off casting, or have you binned that? Have you got a thermostat in the cooler lines? Is the take off adaptor properly made with decent sized and well flowing ports? Is the oil filter itself remote?