HKS FCD running lean?

downimpact

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have the HKS FCD fitted on mine and after reading this im wondering what are the other options out there. Just had a quick look on the Whifbitz website, and Turbosmart make two versions ( Manual/Electronic ) and was wondering if this is a better choice??? Anyone got one fitted of any opinions on it? What else is there?

I have been playing on and off over the past few months with a bit of circuitry of my own to try and achieve something a bit closer to what I felt was needed. Basically it relies on the map sensor voltage to do what it should up to the point moments before fuel cut and then clamps it at that and then when the boost level gets to about 1.15bar it then re-instates fuel cut. The problem is that from what I have read and seen with Ian's and Andy's published data the output from the stock map sensor is a bit unreliable at the higher boost levels, but on mine it does seem to work ok at 1.15. I also messed with a 2 bar sensor from a cossie and I relied on the supra map sensor for the pre cut level which then clamped and then when the ford sensor saw 1.2 the circuit then went into cut. But this is a messy way of doing things imo.

I was also thinking about this the other day, as an SAFC will bassically fudges the map signal, then I would think that you could use one for a FCD too, but havent tried this.

Edited by Shane
typo correction (see edit history)

was thinking the same, any suggestions? Not intending to go single, so just to maximse bpu.

E-Manage Blue, but it's overkill just for dodging fuel cut. It'd be way better for BPU, but then it's a step up from £100 to north of £500 once you've got the unit, the harnesses, the MAP sensor, installed it, maybe a field harness to make the wiring-up better, and then getting it mapped. It also doesn't reinstate fuel cut, but you can map it to pull timing and dump in fuel if the boost gets too high. The driver should then realise something is wrong as performance would suddenly and radically change.

We have fitted hundreds of HKS FCD's over the years and never had an issue with them. The Supra still runs rich with the HKS FCD fitted so really no need to change at all.

AFR reading is 12.3 on full boost which is on the lean side from what I've read. As I track the car I would rather it be on the slightly rich side.

• 1 year later...

I have a j-spec supra 2jzgte, and i have mountet the hks fcd, i also have the problem with the car running lean, i have mountet is after this guide:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?251053-HKS-FCD-Installation-Instructions

under idle the air/fuel gauge reads 14.8 to 15.2 witch is pretty normal..

under load the car leans total out. 17 to 18 on the air/fuel gauge...

does the hks FDC not Work on a map based car, or what am i doing wrong

I have a j-spec supra 2jzgte, and i have mountet the hks fcd, i also have the problem with the car running lean, i have mountet is after this guide:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?251053-HKS-FCD-Installation-Instructions

under idle the air/fuel gauge reads 14.8 to 15.2 witch is pretty normal..

under load the car leans total out. 17 to 18 on the air/fuel gauge...

does the hks FDC not Work on a map based car, or what am i doing wrong

Is yours a VVTi or pre-VVTi?