The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How I Cleaned My Engine Bay (with pics)

DodgyRog

Well I thought I would post this up as we all see the amazing builds by the the likes of Rob and Hodge, but in reality most of us will never even get close to there levels

So bit of background for those that don't know, I have an N/A and drive it daily to work etc, I have a vented bonnet which obviously allows quite a bit of crap into the engine bay area and to top it off, my Supra has spent a lot of time in the Bodyshop this year

I have not cleaned under the hood for about a year and a half I would guess as you can see:(

So to Start I have only used off the shelf cleaning stuff

So I started with a bucket of warm water with a bit of Fairy liquid to wipe off the worst of the dirt (changing the water when it got dirty) and being careful to only us the cloth rung out to prevent to much water getting in the wrong places

Then the Gunk spray and toothbrush to shift the worst of the ground in dirt, bit time consuming, but worth the effort and after about 2 hours got to this stage

Then finally to get the shiny black bits, I got a cloth and the Back To Black out and wiped down everything Black to get the finish

This is by no means a Show and Shine finish, but is enough to please most people and it's taken about 3 hours, a few products and some elbow grease, o and a bit of skin off my knuckles

I have posted this up to show anyone put off from doing this to show it's not that hard a process, it can look a bit daunting, but it's not at all:D

Before

After

Edited by DodgyRog (see edit history)

Looks good mate...

How abt some pics of that Carbing Rear? :D

Funny you should say that bud.

It's fitted, but I have not sorted the plastics or carpet yet, I have noticed that the boot rattle has disappeared though

Could do with a clean in there as well by the looks of it

Is the foam bit behind the seat OEM?

Mine does not have it..

It's OEM bud, it's instead of the optional sub speaker

nice job on the bay mate looks much better. why dont you put the rear brace on show? i like the look when the rear braces are above the carpet.

It will be once I get round to cutting the carpet

Nice to see the bay cleaned up! You should try this stuff next time though:

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/interior/303-aerospace-protectant/prod_366.html

Easier and will give great results and protection.;)

Brace looks good also. Mine was miles harder to fit because of the boot speaker getting in the way, but I made it work.

Will try and get a pic up of my brace fitted for you with the plastics and carpet all in place.

Nice to see the bay cleaned up! You should try this stuff next time though:

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/interior/303-aerospace-protectant/prod_366.html

Easier and will give great results and protection.;)

Brace looks good also. Mine was miles harder to fit because of the boot speaker getting in the way, but I made it work.

Will try and get a pic up of my brace fitted for you with the plastics and carpet all in place.

Bit pricey though

looks fantastic mate. under my bonnet is a fair mess so i think i'll follow suit and give it a good clean. the rear brace looks great too :D

If this thread gets you cleaning under your bonnet, then it has served it purpose:thumbs:

Satisfying few hours today bud :) it looks great.

Yeap, it's well worth the effort

I'll back up the n/a's mate:) You done a good job,how many time's did your bonnet make you move, bloody windy down brov's. We are still worikng under our bonnet. Bit like inter-city, were getting there.

Yeah it was a bit breezy, but least I didn't have my floopy flappy Carbon bonnet on. Hope your finished by now :D

Edited by DodgyRog (see edit history)

Looks good mate. I've started on mine but I don't think it has ever been done before and I've got to get serious on some parts. Looking at your efforts gives me belief. Good work.

Looks wicked mate and think i should do my engine bay now as its not a pretty site

Definately get onto it, it's nice to know you can open the bonnet on a 16 year old car and have it looking like this.

My neighbours think I am mad when I am scrubing with the tooth brush, but then they are amazed at the results after

Definately get onto it, it's nice to know you can open the bonnet on a 16 year old car and have it looking like this.

My neighbours think I am mad when I am scrubing with the tooth brush, but then they are amazed at the results after

Haha! I know what you mean. My neighbour is always commenting on how much time I spend on cleaning my car but is always very complimentary about how good it looks.