The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Issue with the Supra battery

Samurai 20V

Guys,

My Supra was behaving strangely this weekend...

I fitted new speakers yesterday, I had the music on for most of the day, did not drive the car, but it was a bit slow to start..

Today I fitted my EBC, also had the radio running for most of the day.. I have no amp, just a self amplified sub...

After completing the install the car would not start, battery was reading down to 9V...

The battery is just 6 months old, so I dont think its that..

After boosting it, the reading is 13V on idle.. It seems to be starting fine now..

Should I be worried? I heard alternators are a common issue with these cars?

Thanks...

I think you answered your own question there, you said you had the music on for most of the day and didnt drive the car? especially as you have a sub...it would draw more current. Thats what would have drained your battery...hence the low voltage. Just keep it running for a while, and it'll be fine. Whats the voltage of the battery when the car is off?

I think you answered your own question there, you said you had the music on for most of the day and didnt drive the car? especially as you have a sub...it would draw more current. Thats what would have drained your battery...hence the low voltage. Just keep it running for a while, and it'll be fine. Whats the voltage of the battery when the car is off?

Ok cool, I was worried that the alternator was gone... I ran it for about 15mins, its reading over 12V.. Whilst idling if I revved it it did pick up charge..

I did not realise that the sub drew so much current..

also to have the radio on you will have had the keys in the ignition? and i guess a door/boot/bonnet open so the interior lights would have been on. probably most of the day. and maybe some other electrics too...

Yeah, all the doors were open, including the boot...

Thanks guys for the replies...

A self powered Sub, as you say, is basically a sub with an amplifier built in, so there is an amp. The current draw is quite a big one! Add lights, add radio... bye bye voltage.

Give it a 20 minute drive and you'll be fine.

Yeah, learnt that the hard way...

Will give the car a drive after I figure out the settings for the HKS EVC...

Thks John..