The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Advice on removing lousy aftermarket gear knob

alex2jz

Hi there,

Just bought an original 6 speed knob and i'm really having difficulties in removing the aftermarket " Typer-R" knob that was on my car.

The initial smile on my face when i saw the knob easily unscrewing when turned anticlockwise was short lived. The knob stops rotating at some point just when it has so little to come off ! I tried pulling, rotating and pulling but nothing seems to work.

Can anyone give me some advice on how to get rid of this thing without breaking the gear stick ?

Cheers

Alex

Does the bottom part not unscrew from the top part revealing allen grub screws?

I've read about this thing on another forum, but this seems knob seems to be formed from just 1 piece, nothing budges. I' ll take another look though, as i'm out of options anyway.

Thanks

Thanks for the advice guys but it's just not working. I've removed the allen screws from the top, nothing budges. I've tried removing the shiny bottom ring at the bottom, nothing budges ( seems like a fixed part). Looks like no OEM knob for me...

This is the knob if anyone has any other ideas... http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005FEXD00/ref=asc_df_B005FEXD004906825?smid=A203ZM3BBAZZWT&tag=shoppingcommp-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22218&creativeASIN=B005FEXD00

Give me an oil change or coolant flush any day over this !!

Edited by alex2jz (see edit history)

try pulling it up hard,

wiggle it,

Did that. With common sense though, don't want to break anything !

youve done the obvious thing and swore at it have you? lol

Oh you bet i've done that ! I have some nasty plans for this knob after it's finally off. Think i'm going to hammer it to pieces. :eyebrows:

It definitely looks like one of those screw together ones, its probably been on that long that it'll be a pita to unscrew

It's possible. Maybe i'm too gentle, don't know.

usually they have a grub screw in the side?

Well if it's there i'm not seeing it lol

burn it off!!!

Tempting, but don't want to set my car on fire.

Yes mate. Removed 5 screws from the top part but it doesn't make any difference and i can't see any other screws. Unless the bottom shiny part is really that stuck and they should be under there..

It's possible. Maybe i'm too gentle, don't know.

Well if it's there i'm not seeing it lol

Tempting, but don't want to set my car on fire.

Yes mate. Removed 5 screws from the top part but it doesn't make any difference and i can't see any other screws. Unless the bottom shiny part is really that stuck and they should be under there..

There's a grub screw somewhere. Universal knobs always use grub screws to attach, they aren't threaded. The fact that you have unscrewed it would mean you have possibly ruined the thread on the gearstick due to the grub screw scratching round the thread. Hopefully not though.

It looks to me like the ball part unscrews from the part just under the ball (the big line around the knob). It will probably be tight depending how long it's been on.

looking at it again i think you may be right, some after market gear knobs do that and by doing that the silver thing in pic 4 could fit inside it and once the top is screwed on it would be held in by the screw inside it.

any luck on this after?

if your that stuck i would put an angle grinder to it and just trim it down until it crumbles off :)

Haven't had time unfortunately mate. I'm at work now as well but tomorrow i'll be free and i'm picking up a set of pliers in an attempt to get this thing off.

With the luck i'm having in doing simple things, i'm really scared about my next step in improving the interior : changing the head unit lol Watch out for a long thread there too :)

Alright i've been trying all morning now.

Let me start with the good news because there isn't any...

This thing isn't coming off. None of the seemingly screwable parts are moving, no matter what. Either the previous owner glued them together somehow or the knob is a single piece. I've almost destroyed the area where the shiny ring is attached trying to rotate it with the pliers, so now there is no turning back, i have to get it off.

My options now are :

1. Find out who makes it and send them an email asking how to get it off lol

2. Buy one off ebay or amazon for 8 quid or how much they are and see how it comes together

3. No, i will not cut it

4. Change the whole gear lever mechanism

Any other suggestions are MOST welcome, even though all logical ones were applied.

Alex

why not cut it up?

angle grinder to trim the sides of the gear nob, i dont mean cut the actual selector.

on my brothers renault clio, renault had stuck the standard nob on, i cut it with a bread knife off

Cutting it with a grinder would just make a big mess inside the car, that's why i'm just trying to avoid it as much as i can. Wish this could be cut with a bread knife too... but it's a very solid metal thing.

The worst spent 10 quid ever for the one who put this over the OEM knob, i'm telling you.

could you not cut it off with a junior hack saw? wouldnt make too much mess and would defintley work.

I could give this a try, definitely won't spread the debris around. Might take some time though as this thing is solid as steel but should work eventually, i mean some prisoners did cut prison bars this way lol