The mkiv Supra Owners Club

is this R154 too expensive

Noz

I've found a R154 gearbox for sale, but its not in the UK its located in the US (bummer).

It's done less than 16,000 kilometers and from the pic looks pretty good condition.

The total cost for the box AND to ship it, is £780.00.

Is this worth it? I'm aiming for 400bhp reliable, and don't want my w58 falling apart, or if it does I want something a bit stronger.

A stronger component is always a good idea, but this seems rather alot for something I've already got, the the w58 `should` be ok at 400 which will be on a high boost setting anyway.

Any idea how much the w58 gearbox will go for, as I may be able to offset some money against buying this gearbox.

Is it too much money to risk through paypal if not through a company?

Thanks

r154.jpg

Dont forget your import charges on top of that.

You hear that same saying over and over again when it comes to reliability of a W58, 'It should be fine'. Quite frankly I wouldn't take a word someone else says with a pinch of salt in that respect because I can almost guarantee that any given two boxes wont be the same in terms of how much power they will hold, its just luck of the draw. Its the same with the R154's really, unless they have never seen abuse in there life or they just happen to be in very good shape internally its a gamble but you would have better chances of not nuking a 154 over a 58.

its alot of money to gamble, but i know different boxes seem to last different, must be due to their life history. think its too much money for me to gamle really. if its was UK id for for it, but its 250 just for delivery. :*(