The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Powersteering tank size.

hodge

I'm looking into doing a few changes to my engine over the winter, one of which is to make my own PAS tank to mount under the plenum (well sort of). Am I right in thinking that as long as the tank can hold a reasonable amount of fluid with room to rise and fall any size will be fine.

Cheers

John

Not sure I follow that. Surely there will only be as much fluid in the system as the pump dictates? I would have thought increasing pressure purely on the colum of fluid height in the reservoir would be so minimal as to have no impact.

I would think as long a the tank is designed to not introduce air into the system and allow it to fluctuate sufficiently there shouldn't be an issue.

Of interest I know Paul originally had issues with his reservoirs. The one I have on my car has a plate at the bottom above the inlet to the pump. My thoughts on this were that the suction was causing a whirlpool type effect which meant occasionally air was leaking into the system. The plate prevents this from occurring and would also reduce the fluid level requires in the reservoir?

It's all speculation. Maybe Paul will come along and chip in on this.

Would the reservoir still be above the pump? I would be worried about air getting in the system if it wasn't.

I think the volume of liquid is only effected by the temperature, the more liquid the longer it has to cool in the reservoir so the cooler it will run. If you have a PS cooler you will be fine though.

Volume won't matter so long as it is no smaller, or only a tad smaller. It won't even mind if it holds a few gallons ;) It does need to have the outlet of the tank above the inlet of the pump though, as the pump won't like lifting fluid from below, and it would probably cause cavitation. A bigger reservoir will help a little in keeping the fluid cooler for longer under rapidly changing large steering inputs (track day at that little Welsh circuit for example). A cooler would be far more effective than just a small increase in tank volume though. You can use an auto rad in a manual car for cooling PAS fluid neatly and elegantly, which is something you adore ;)

Edited by Chris Wilson (see edit history)