The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My recent engine rebuild with plenty of pictures.

little num

As most of you might have heard i spun a bigend bearing (cylinder 5) and it had worn the crank too much so i couldnt get bearings oversized to fit so in the end bit the bullet and bought a brand new crank from toyota.

I spoke to a engine builder local to me called bromsgrove engines and they showed me there race engines they build and that made me dicide to get them to so my build.

Below are pics of me stripping it down and finding out the crank is scrap then the engine in bits at the bromsgrove engines workshop.

BEFORE PICS.

Those were taken in my shed as i was stripping it down.

NEW PARTS AND ENGINE WORK BEING DONE.

These are new parts and just a pile of engine parts all ready to be cleans and checked.

These pictures are of the engine being worked on and getting prepared for rebuild.

The con rods have been steamed cleaned and come up like new, also the pistons have been steamed and again look brill.

I had the new crank polished to a mirror finish, the block was rehoned and checked to wear but there was hardly any wear at all.

Then i had the block painted with heat protected paint made special for engine blocks.

All the valves have been cleaned and recut to 3 way cutting or somthing like that, then the head was cleaned and the exhaust side opened up slightly to allow more flow, and then valves reground and then shimmed up.

Then the crank - conrods - pistons - flywheel - clutch - front pully was all sent off to be fully balanced and was all set to work together and there was lots of new holes in the crank - flywheel and bits cut off the pistons to make them nice and balanced.

Well it was just over 400hp when last dyno'd but when the engine builders checked my engine over they was suprised it didnt go sooner as it was very worn out as in piston rings where shot - bearing worn - valves not seating right and was pitted, and just basically worn due to mileage and raced lol.

So im just wearing it in and doing a driftday next week will help wear it in lol then once im happy with it then ill take it for another bhp test and hope to see 430 ish id have thought, also they have adjusted my cam gears so they exhaus valves opens as they should and so far it feels faster already.

Not alot of gain for the amount its cost but its a stronger engine and ready for a single if i ever decide to go that route.

Edited by little num (see edit history)

Turbo's are stock units but with turbo technics internals so steel blades both sides and boost to 1.4bar, im hoping to go single in the next 6 months but not run much more power then im at as my gearbox will blow up again, just want the simple side of single and low temperatures.

Turbo's are stock units but with turbo technics internals so steel blades both sides and boost to 1.4bar, im hoping to go single in the next 6 months but not run much more power then im at as my gearbox will blow up again, just want the simple side of single and low temperatures.

I'd be interested in the stock(ish) tubbies if you do decide to switch James.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...