The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Mk3 supra blue smoke

hodge

A friend of mine at work has bought a mk3 supra. It's a mint example bodywork wise. He's started to get a little blue smoke but is getting worse. I've been out in the car tonight and it pulls like a train well as much as a mk3 does lol.

The car has done just over 80k but has had a new turbo not long before he bought the car. His initial thought was the turbo was goosed but I've had the filter pipe off and checked the shaft play and it's as good as new. When accelerating its fine from what I can see but I you lift off the throttle and then back on again you get a puff of blue smoke. He recons it's a lot worse when the car is cold. My initial thought after I checked the turbo was piston rings are worn and the oil is leaking past them, or there is an issue with the head.

Any thoughts on this????

Thanks

John

Compression test would be my first port of call, to try to rule out an issue with the rings :) I dont believe the 7M was particulary prone to any particular problem other than suffering from HG issues, but I may be wrong! Before I had my turbo's reconditioned, they felt and looked fine from a shaft play sense, but the bearings were shot and they were hemorraging oil, exhibitng the same symptoms as you describe good sir!

How's the breathers? The symptoms sound a bit like valve stem seals, any smoke on first cold start?

There doesn't seem to be any smoke on cold start. Apparently he also has a receipt for an HKS headgasket and a head refurb so I doubt it's the valve stem seals.

the turbo might be ok but the seal might be gone hence the smoke.

its a seal in the turbo not the shaft play.

How can I check for failed turbo seals, the compressor side is bone dry but I couldn't take the turbo elbow off in the car park at work lol.

Turbine oil seal. The classic sign of oil seal is get it hot then let it idle, if it smokes at hot idle, 99% its an oil seal.

There's no smoke at idle though it just seems to be while driving, lift off the pedal and back on then you get a pull of blue smoke which is why I thought it was the rings.

• 5 months later...

Did this ever get resolved? Mine is doing much the same.

A puff of blue smoke when blipping the throttle from idle. If I give 3-4 consecutive blips to approx 3-4000rpm then back to idle the puffs of blue smoke get less each time until on the last rev there is no smoke.

Much larger puff of smoke if allowed to idle for 20-30 seconds.

been doing it for a good while now and doesn't seem to get any worse, very little oil use. I'll do a compression test when I get the time to rule out rings

Is that hot idle? If so its turbo oil seals.

Did this ever get resolved? Mine is doing much the same.

A puff of blue smoke when blipping the throttle from idle. If I give 3-4 consecutive blips to approx 3-4000rpm then back to idle the puffs of blue smoke get less each time until on the last rev there is no smoke.

Much larger puff of smoke if allowed to idle for 20-30 seconds.

been doing it for a good while now and doesn't seem to get any worse, very little oil use. I'll do a compression test when I get the time to rule out rings

Could be the valve them seals mate even though you think its not. My dads supra valve stem seals went at around 57,000 miles.

No smoke on startup and only when warmed up would suggest either turbo seals or rings etc, I don't doubt that the vss need doing but don't think its the cause of this.

Thanks

Rob

Edited by Robzki (see edit history)

Is that hot idle? If so its turbo oil seals.

Yeah its when warmed up. its not 'really bad' but it puffs out after idling and the longer the idle the worse it is. also after a run and while getting on the throttle after the over run.

I'm sure that if its the turbo seals I'll also do the vss at the same time. just hoping its not the rings as I don't want to do any work 'down there'

In my experience that's classic turbine oil seals, doesn't leak when cold, but once everything expands and gets up to temp it leaks a bit.

Same issue with my car, my previous thread gave a similar judgement.

I have not changed the turbos as yet, I tried a 10W-50 oil (as opposed to 10W-30), it reduced the smoking a fair whack...

The VSS tend to be only when stareted up from cold..

Rings should be continous smoke, even on light or heavy accelaration...