The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Whats the chances of?

RMJJ

In say 6-7 years time, a UK spec Manual Supra, will still be out there to buy! (i.e. low miles etc)

Looking now over the net and am struggling like hell, they all seem to be auto's! Shame really that auto's outsold manuals.

Anybody know why the UK spec was only sold for 3 years? :rolleyes:

of the 2 manual boxes the 5 speed is the nicer by far, the 6 speed is a bit... agricultural in comparison. but the auto is damn good. and so easy to drive. leaves you to concentrate on the rest of your journy. dont write it off just because they are not cool.

They also get better times down the drag strip ;)

here you go,

Sales in Europe have been ceased in early 1996. In the end of 1996 the new emission regulation "Euro 2" had become compulsory. Toyota found adapting the Supra to these standards for not profitable enough due to the small sales figures in Europe. The last examplars have been delivered to their customers in early 1996.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?248486-Stock-Supra-performance-stats-(input-required!)&p=3145073#post3145073

i kinda feel the same about manual vs auto, i enjoy changing gear, it adds to the experience and an auto in my eyes is for the daily driver or motorway cruiser but thats just my oppinion. but everyone to there own :) although i havent driven a auto supe so i cant really knock it

i dont quite understand how anybody would want a Supra auto though??

I had an auto Supra & currently have a 6 speed manual, I actually preferred the auto!

As said don't get wrapped up in the mileage, my current car has 20k on the clock & my previous car had 90k odd & you can't really tell the difference. They are very well built & solid cars, I still have a fairly new Type R and you can feel the difference in how solid the Supra feels.

i dont quite understand how anybody would want a Supra auto though??

haha, well im 18, long way of yet but there is no chance in hell im living life without a supra!

After your first comment I suspected you were young. As you get older, your appreciation of driving changes.

This. Theres too much auto bashing without any experience.

The auto is great 90% of the time for me and it's very relaxing to drive. The only time I miss a manual is when I want to attack a set of twisties and drive like a cock. Subsequently, I will stick with the auto or may even go back to a 5 speed NA as the 6 speed sounds like I wouldn't get along with it.

H.

In say 6-7 years time, a UK spec Manual Supra, will still be out there to buy! (i.e. low miles etc)

Looking now over the net and am struggling like hell, they all seem to be auto's! Shame really that auto's outsold manuals.

Anybody know why the UK spec was only sold for 3 years? :rolleyes:

Simply put the Supra was designed as a GT and not and full on sports car which is why nearly 60 plus percent UK's were sold with the OPTIONAL auto gearbox which was EXTRA. The reason they didn't continue when they face lifted it after talking to some helpful people at Toyota was down to the fact they only sold 628 in 3 years. Conforming it to the new regulations wouldn't have been that costly at all in fact it would have cost them nothing as the regulations in the states are a lot more strict than ours, they sold supras in the states up until 1998.

Guest supra_steve86

if you wanna do it on the cheap just do what im doing mate, buy a high millege/non runner for £1000-1500 and buy a 2JZ-GTE lump and drop it in. even if you want manual its not hard to do. for a stock/bpu TT manual about 9k way im doing it i should have a pretty much "new" engine rebuilt 600-800bhp for 8k :)

Guest supra_steve86

but actully saying that i think the TT engines are getting rarer than the supra itself! i spent a week looking for a decent supra engine and i found.....1 in the whole country and paid through the nose for it!

but actully saying that i think the TT engines are getting rarer than the supra itself! i spent a week looking for a decent supra engine and i found.....1 in the whole country and paid through the nose for it!

You should have spoke to jurgen as he could have got you one from Japan