The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Help and info needed

jjs_82

I had the banjo bolt off thats located under the vvti syonild cleaning the small filter and i went to put the banjo bolt back in and the housing cracked.

Does anyone know how much these housings will be and is it a big job taking the housing off do you have to interfer with timing??

Housing that the vvti syonild goes into.

It's part of the front cam cap, and is line bored and particular to that head, and not a serviceable part. In other words, short of some terrible cock up with a part from a different used VVTi head and a LOT of luck, you need a new head :( That was a costly mistake. Here's an illustration of what I believe you are talking about.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]140526[/ATTACH]

That's a better image, right?

No, it's part of the cylinder head assembly, the cap is line bored with all the other cam caps in production, so each cap is unique to a given head, and none are available as spare parts from Toyota save buying a new head. This has to be about the worst thing you can damage on a head. Can you indicate just where it's cracked, or take it off an get a perfect high definition macro photo of the damage? I might be able to repair it, but probably not, as the heat from TIG 'ing it may well distort it. If you fit a cap from a scrap VVTi head (that in itself will be hard to find) it won't line up with the cam unless you are very lucky. If it was mine I might be able to hand scrape the cap to fit, but it's very tricky, and not many people can still do hand scraping ( I am old...). I would need the head and cam and the new cap though. Nightmare, worst "I'll just clean this thing" type of accident I have read about on here in a while :(

[ATTACH=CONFIG]140526[/ATTACH]

That's a better image, right?

No, it's part of the cylinder head assembly, the cap is line bored with all the other cam caps in production, so each cap is unique to a given head, and none are available as spare parts from Toyota save buying a new head. This has to be about the worst thing you can damage on a head. Can you indicate just where it's cracked, or take it off an get a perfect high definition macro photo of the damage? I might be able to repair it, but probably not, as the heat from TIG 'ing it may well distort it. If you fit a cap from a scrap VVTi head (that in itself will be hard to find) it won't line up with the cam unless you are very lucky. If it was mine I might be able to hand scrape the cap to fit, but it's very tricky, and not many people can still do hand scraping ( I am old...). I would need the head and cam and the new cap though. Nightmare, worst "I'll just clean this thing" type of accident I have read about on here in a while :(

Ouch that's bad luck, if it ain't broke don't fix it springs to mind.

sorry im not at my house at the min and wont be able to put up a better one. In the picture i took from the start were the bolt goes in the crack is about 11mm in length the crack is only visable when you screw the bolt in and it opens just a tiny bit enough to see. When i was taking it off the bolt was tight to take off all the way to the last thread so i thought that was normal enough because maybe it was never off but i dont know, so when i was putting it back in it was the same tightness half way in i heard the crack and when i checked it when i took it off the threads were crossed. I have it with an engineering company they said they should be able to fix it by cutting a V in the crack and filling it back up so i hope this works.

Got a price from toyota for a new head today and they priced me £1600 no vat so im willing to try anything else first.

when i was on the phone to toyota i asked them about a new banjo bolt and the 2 washer and they cannot be got either. the banjo bolt threads look 100% and the thread inside the housing are not too bad a man i had it with said a run through with a tap should be okay. thanks for your help.

Here's the part numbers for the banjo bolt and the two washers. I would use a Dowty seal against the cracked housing, if the washer seal face is less than perfect after they have welded it a Dowty seal, with its bonded in rubber seal, will be far more reliable than an alloy crush washer. Most hydraulics places will have Dowty seals. I bought a new banjo bolt from Toyota not 8 months ago, and a new VVti actuator and control solenoid. Pity you didn't break one of those, as I have 2 good spares as well :)