The mkiv Supra Owners Club

gertag v160 damaged?

dr_jekyll

Requires allot, someone here in Holland broke one by starting the engine and shifting without clutch as his clutch line broke

and he was to lazy to wait for someone to tow him. Took a while before it broke tho, i even believe it got him 40km back home, that is without using the clutch >.>.

Also read that they shift allot harder and feel way more clunky then the pure smoothness of the w58.

I believe the supra getrag is way and way stronger then the skyline one. Skyline getrags tend to break on stock power output, 2 of my friends had that problem.

Thats because they hook up so well the section that breaks is the caseing and thats the same, BTW if your mate knew how to change gear using a clutch makes no difference, I doubt Ive hardly ever used a clutch up or down a bike box at a trackday !!!

Good choice!

hope this helps you out,

Getrag 6 speed transmission (V160 & V161)

The Getrag used in the Supra is the Getrag 233, 6 speed gearbox, which is made by Getrag in Germany .

Type - 233

Torque capacity - to 490 NM (361 ft/lb)

Centre distance - 85mm

Weight - 51.0 kg

Factory - Nissan GTR 6 spd, Toyota Supra NA 6 spd, Toyota Supra TT 6 spd

Gears - V160 (3.827,2.360,1.685,1.312,1.000,0.793, Rev 3.280) - May 1993 to May 1996

Gears - V161 (3.724,2.246,1.541,1.205,1.000,0.818, Rev 3.192) - June 1996 to July 2002

NOTE: Although only rated to 361 ft/lbs by Getrag, this gearbox is used in cars putting out up to 600 ft/lbs of torque, but as with any gearbox, the more you exceed the rated torque capability, the quicker the gearbox will wear out, or if the torque is too high, something will break. On the street, its almost impossible to break the Getrag gearbox as wheelspin will occur before the breaking point is reached. On the drag strip with sticky tyres, it is possible to break the Getrag, if running 500rwkw or more. Normally the syncros will give up the ghost before something breaks as they take the main punishment during gear changes on the high HP cars.

good luck!

hey all ive decided to swallow it and buy a 6 speed. (pending credit card aproval )

just wondering if anybody on this club has ever goosed one? i know they are chuck norris strong but if they do brake id like to know what it takes to kill them .

love and cuddles

craig

Your going to eat you current gearbox? That's a bit extreme isn't it.

As for the 6 speed box people call it notchy and crude but I think the changes make it feel solid. Apart from a rattly flywheel I don't think I can fault the box but I haven't used it anger on a track so can't comment on that. Miss shift and it is going to get very expensive, it will more than likely be cheaper to get a replacement box than to fix the one you lunched as has been said they are fiddley to work on. If you muller a gear hope its fifth as this is the easiest to get to as the getrag is a four speed box with 5 and 6 bolted on to it.

And I thought the Getrag was the holy grail of big power boxes. Theres someone selling a Tremec on Driftworks as well, T51 I believe.

For road cars, the V160 is probably even tougher than the Tremec, though the Tremec box was probably designed with higher torque in mind than the Getrag. With the possible exception of some supercars and Hypercars, the Getrag box is as tough as they come.

Hmm, the old American Muncie "rock crusher" boxes from the late sixties and early seventies would take some serious torque and abuse, if 4 speeds and a change like shaking the lever of a one armed bandit that had fallen off a cliff and into the sea for a few years was acceptable :) I had one in my seriously modded big block 1970 Corvette and I never managed to break it. (Most everything else went wrong the POS though :))

hmm, the old american muncie "rock crusher" boxes from the late sixties and early seventies would take some serious torque and abuse, if 4 speeds and a change like shaking the lever of a one armed bandit that had fallen off a cliff and into the sea for a few years was acceptable :) i had one in my seriously modded big block 1970 corvette and i never managed to break it. (most everything else went wrong the pos though :))

:D