The mkiv Supra Owners Club

buying SZ-R or RZ?

TopSecret1

First off I live in Canada, so pricing may be a bit different, and I will give you the prices in US dollars here :)

I am considering buying a 1996.7+ SZ-R Supra which is equipted with the V161 transmission.

With the costs, I would pay about $8,000 less compared to an original TT6 RZ. I would be getting a good condition fairly low mileage SZ-R as well.

If I added that extra $8k to get a TT it would pretty much be a basic normal mileage RZ, and years 1993 - 1996...

With SZ-R I would end up with having an extra $8000 to play around with. So I can get a low mileage 2JZ-GTE motor great shape with everything and the harness shipped for about $3000 USD. I have a couple sources and this is about the price. So after the swap I still would have money to play around with to get some nice BPU upgrades or perhaps a small single turbo.

Esentially I would end up with a better Supra than a normal RZ I could have bought. Also with a new motor I can get it in tip top shape since it will be easier to get the maintance done out of the car.

Do you guys think its not all that bad of an idea? just trying to get some other input.

Cheers!

edit: by the way its not really a budget, I am just saying I would have an extra $8k if I got an SZ-R instead of RZ... and with that $8k i can build it up MYSELF. It would need to be a swap for sure I wouldn't be interested in NA-T. I'd sell the 2JZ-GE motor.

Edited by TopSecret1 (see edit history)

I currently have a Supra which I am wanting to sell and start all over. With the next one its something I'd plan to keep for quite a while. Resale is not my concern as its not that big of an issue here.

the 3.77 gearing ratio diff has the torrsen LSD as well correct? I don't see why it shouldn't be good for a BPU Supra? I know that it will be slightly shorter gearing compared to the 3.26 diff but I have driven the SZ-R and the gearing ratios are pretty good to me.

I wouldn't mind buying a RZ diff If I had too though, factoring in the costs I can get one as well.

The way I am looking at it is that I can get a nice looking SZ-R with lower mileage for cheaper, and newer, then after I'm down swapping and even getting some mods done... it would end up being about the same cost as a 93-96 RZ.

and I have some people, I can have the swap done in a day with my assistance its not the biggest issue.

I know that I want to do this, I just wanted to see what others think of it. Also if its got the smaller brakes that doesn't bother me as I'd eventually upgrade those.

To get a low mileage good condition TT6 it costs quite a good amount, and I can achieve this with SZ-R swap for much less.

I thought SZ-R 6 speeds were ideal for NA-TT swaps. Is replacing the NA diff with a TT one ( OEM or aftermarket) a straight swap ?

This is exactly the reason I am considering SZ-R 6-speed. I think its a pretty striaght forward swap? I have been digging up some old threads and it seemed pretty basic from the swaps people have done.

And I don't see why the SZ-R differential would be bad? especially for BPU levels.

whats the car market like in canada

for re-selling? or buying?

In general its pretty normal like in the United States, selling cars is a bit harder here though since this is a left hand drive region.

I'd be importing the Supra from Japan of course.

SZ-R series 2 just became legal here.

i think it'll be ideal for your situation, the diff is a higher ratio but that's better for track and everyday if you are happier with the narrower power band. Other than the ratio the diff isn't any different from all later tt's. You would probably want to add another diff mount if the SZ-R's don't have them.

Traction control is all that would be missing after a swap but that's no great issue to most.

i think it'll be ideal for your situation, the diff is a higher ratio but that's better for track and everyday if you are happier with the narrower power band. Other than the ratio the diff isn't any different from all later tt's. You would probably want to add another diff mount if the SZ-R's don't have them.

Traction control is all that would be missing after a swap but that's no great issue to most.

With LSD traction control isn't my concern really :D

yes I like that lower end acceleration/power with the low ratio.

if anyone has any experience feel free to chim in it would be helpfull.

cheers

Fuel consumption will be higher with an A02B instead of an B03B diff but who cares:d,

You can still keep your old na engine, so you can always return to the na engine when you want to sell,

How to insure a factory 224hp car with more then 75% increase in bhp even more when you go for a single turbo, if you can get it covered who cares.

forgot to add that the original japanese mkiv TT from may '93 till may '95 came with the same brakes as the N/A 2 pot front/ 1 pot rear, the export version however came with the bigger brakes, 4 pot front/ 2 pot rears. The sz-r models from july 96 probaply already have the 4pot fronts and 2 pot at the rears,

The facelift model has more nice equipment as the facelift front and rear, dash, seats, etc, try to get the vin number sorted of the sz-r you want, then you can get all the factory info.

If you go with the tt engine, is the flywheel and clutch included? Is there an chargecooler included ie smic/fmic.

Succes and let us know what you decided;)