The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra in the snow

Guest triphead

Guest triphead

Hey guys im new here just picked up my non turbo manual last night and i love it already not mega fast but not slow, looks and sounds amazing.

BUT...

seeing as its October i wanna know?

Has anyone tried using their supra in the snow with snow tyres on and if you have what was it like. bad time to buy RWD car tbh but it was a bargain :D

im thinkin about getin some stock rims for the supra n putting snow tires on them.

although if its going to be terrible even like that ill fix my FTO and use that before winter.

any feedback welcome.

cheers hope to pick your brains more oftern :)

ste/

I took the supra to work in January after the snow had cleared but during my shift it had snowed again. It was only a couple of cm but it was the most fun I have had driving home ever :D As long as you don't drive like a plonker you should be fine. Simple things like building up momentum before an incline as opposed to when your on it will save you a world of hassle. That was on standard wheels and standard tyre sizes (not winter tyres).

As long as you don't drive like a plonker you should be fine.

Agree.

Having said that my car has 285s on the rear and these are not suited for Snow (especially if its 3cm+) - especially considering that they are NOT snow tyres. I drive my car all year round and have been in some testing situations over the past few years. Snow is much easier to drive in as compared to frost......now that can be scary :)

Guest triphead

cheers guys i realy dno what to do if it snows like last year tyres will be the least of my worries the front bumper will be collecting snow like a plow haha gna have to see about adjusting the coilovers for the winter just in case

cheers guys i realy dno what to do if it snows like last year tyres will be the least of my worries the front bumper will be collecting snow like a plow haha gna have to see about adjusting the coilovers for the winter just in case

Good call on the coilovers, I went past a audi s8 which was lauching a tidal wave of snow everywhere with his chin spoiler.

Good call on the coilovers, I went past a audi s8 which was lauching a tidal wave of snow everywhere with his chin spoiler.

I bet that did his paintwork wonders.

I had just remembered that I did end up out once in the Supra after a deluge of snow and it was easier than i expected it to be.

H.

If you love your supra why would you take it out in the cold ? let alone get it covered in salt and grit etc

Also the risk of watching some muppet slide into you in slow motion just isn't worth it in my opinion

4 X 4 is the way to go with some trac edge or all terrains fitted to it

A few winters ago i was stationary in my Range Rover when a middle aged women in a clio

lost control in the snow and slid into me at around 30 ish mph.

Lucklily my RR was the one in my avatar and had seriously strong

front bull bar, very little damage to me but her clio was borderline scrap.

A pic of it when it was yellow :)

Scan18.jpg

A few winters ago i was stationary in my Range Rover when a middle aged women in a clio

lost control in the snow and slid into me at around 30 ish mph.

Lucklily my RR was the one in my avatar and had seriously strong

front bull bar, very little damage to me but her clio was borderline scrap.

A pic of it when it was yellow :)

I paid less than 300 for the astra so I can cope with losing it should some nutter lose it and crash into me. Plus the biggy for me is the salt, I left the supra on the drive last year and got a lift to work in my step mums Lexus rx300 4x4.

If you love your supra why would you take it out in the cold ? let alone get it covered in salt and grit etc

Also the risk of watching some muppet slide into you in slow motion just isn't worth it in my opinion

4 X 4 is the way to go with some trac edge or all terrains fitted to it

I paid less than 300 for the astra so I can cope with losing it should some nutter lose it and crash into me. Plus the biggy for me is the salt, I left the supra on the drive last year and got a lift to work in my step mums Lexus rx300 4x4.

They dont use salt no more ! The stuff they put down nowdays doesnt disolve or eat anything, its merely ment to lay a foundation and give your tyres something to grip on, so you're right when you call it grit, but thats all it is, is a grit.

i went out last year in the snow just the hell of it and how no problems. got toyo t1r 245 front 265 rear. Just took it easy had the back out a few times but was all fun. The only problem i would say is nob necks in 4x4 who thought that there cars stop as easly as they go but how wrong they are as my next door neighbour found out

They dont use salt no more ! The stuff they put down nowdays doesnt disolve or eat anything, its merely ment to lay a foundation and give your tyres something to grip on, so you're right when you call it grit, but thats all it is, is a grit.

Are you sure Ash? Take a look at these:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8420755.stm

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=147081

It sounds like they use a blend of rock salt and grit.

To the OP: things to watch out if you take a car like a supra out in the snow is:

1) other road users, as already mentioned

2) the roads local to either end of your journey. If your local road is on a noticeable slope, the first hundred or so cars driving along it will compact the snow and start to turn it into an ice rink.

Edited by stevie_b (see edit history)