The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Na-T or GTE engine swap?

vukelic

You can only roughly turbo your N A engine upto 350 bhp and t that amount it is stressing the engine in my opinion. Better to go with a complete engine swap mate so if anything does go wrong then you can fix it easily and with second hand parts

I did one of these threads a couple of days ago. I think it all depends on how much you have to spend as like you my engine has done under 50k miles so it seamed a shame to waste it but I figured that unless you are going to spend top notch money on a kit then maybe its best to get the TT swap or sell up and get a legit TT.

I am going to do a TT conversion as with the kits like xs power you have to get a bit creative for some and fabricate the parts which to be honest doesn't sound highly reliable and after totally up all the stuff you need £1100 turbo kit then a few £££ for the ic pipes plus need to make brackets to mount the inter cooler a £300 ish greddy e-manage kit £300ish upgraded fuel injectors poss head gasket kit and then a poss remap as well made me decide that its best to do all TT swap prop 2k + and it saves a lot of hassle.

All this is my opinion so good luck to you in how you go about your car but bear in mind that you will poss have to upgrade the clutch and poss the gearbox to a six speed unless your auto either way its a long road depending how much bhp you want.

I am only aiming for between 320-400 bhp as my car will be a daily drive so don't need massive power plus keeping it in that region will save me having to change everything from stock as well.

Good luck anyway

well firstly around 400 hp is achievable on stock compression dependant on your ecu/injectors and mapper . im confident ryan 2 could get 400 bhp on the stock engine using one of the syvecs systems .

even without an expensive standalone we just got 380 bhp at 7psi on welshstelths car. at thid level of tuning with a pro map and the correct afr on boost it will not be strseeing the engine atall. the ge bottom end is also very strong ast the gte bottom end is . the are fundamentaly the same bar a few minor differences.

i myslef have just built a 480 bhp na-t by lowering the compresstion. the reason a stock ge engine is limited on potential bhp is in no way strength related. it is because the engine is high compression thus limiting how much boost you can run before it pre dets .

secondly replaceing gte parts cheaply...... lol

I was on about that it will be cheaper going with the gte engine transplant as the price for all the turbo kits and all that will mount up to be around the same and the parts will less of quality than the second hand gte parts.

What can you get out of a NA without any turbos added?

Also what about the gear box on the NA, will it not blow at 400bhp? I thought standard gte auto box was only good for 500bhp. I can remember someone saying that the NA box is only good till 350bhp?

its the torque and driving type that hurts the boxes , the w58 can die at 350 for one band be fine at 450 for another . my current w58 has done a full sprint season with a load of trackdays inbetween and its still sweet as a nut. it took mee 3 years to make the other one wine .

400 ish will cost about the same eithwer way. 450+ will cost moe either way. na-t s a good way to go if your handy with the spanners and like to be involved with your car. also sounds awsome and delivers the power more agressively than the twins

wopuldnt happen mate , it wopuld cost tens of thousands to make 300 na power from a 2jz. really not worth it for the cost. if you want a 300 bhp na supra fit the 1uzfe engine .

if you want to make your na faster tune the chassis . shed weight , better suspension, brakes , good tyres ect. this will make the car feel quicker.

hosepower is not the allways the final word in performance