The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Garaging your Supra - Check List

Geo

Right as Winter is fast approaching and for the most of us, the cars will be off the Roads either garaged, Covered, or on the drive way. Just want to know what you guys do to your car for keeping it stored etc. I.e change oil, leave out of gear, jack up and leave on stands etc.

thoughts and discuss folks :D

I was under the impression it was a bad idea to keep turning it on letting it idle and if you wanted to turn it on you should take it for a run.

For me its;

1.Service

2.Clean

3.Leave hand brake off

4.Leave out of gear (level drive way)

5.Put on trickle charger

6.Put on cover

7.Bring it out when the weather improves

As for flat spots these if you get them will be run off in a matter of miles not really worth the hassle of putting on stands IMO.

i left mine stood 5 years and brakes rusted going to take some work to get back.also was in gear and handbrake on.

I think he only wants to leave it for a couple of months :D I don't think I could not drive it for a couple of months never mind 5 years !!!

I was under the impression it was a bad idea to keep turning it on letting it idle and if you wanted to turn it on you should take it for a run.

There's been many an internet discussion about this without any real credible result.

Questions being, why is it bad for the engine to idle for more than 5mins (for example)? Is it better or worse to run the engine on idle for longer periods?

Has there been any measurable damage recorded due to engine idle from a cold start as opposed to cold start and then going for a run?

Is it even worth it to start the engine over the winter period or just leave it until summer time is back?

I think on every car forum that I've seen these discussion everyone has put forward a case for which is worse or better, but all without any measurable evidence other than their car didn't break when they did it.

So at a guess I'd say it is ok to idle the car if you want a heat cycle to go in to it. (If you are de-cat)

Why do you want a heat cycle in the engine in the first place? (Not sure).

Is it ok to leave the car on trickle charger for 5months without an engine start in between? (probably yes)

Going for a run can take the rust off the brakes, but then it will add a new layer of grime to the chassis underneath.

My list is as follows:

1) Put in Garage (already done)

2) Clay bar & 3 coats of autoglym (already done)

3) Clean engine bay (already done)

4) Replace oil and filter (already done)

5) Replace Spark plugs and coil pack connectors, clean 02 sensor and idle control valve (already done)

6) Replace rear discs and pads (hopefully arrive tommorrow)

7) Replace cambelt

8) Clean air filter

9) Buy a car cover

10) Bring out next spring

i dont wanna put mine away! i like driving it and seeing it on my drive :( oh well...

bought the car cover the other day

tuck it away in the garage(when the garage is finished)

oil n filter change to be done soon

give the calipers a lick of paint with some new decals

wheel refurb

polished cam covers and other engine bling

and a big kiss and cuddle :p