The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Stormforce Cover Doing My Head In...!!

Havard

I love my Stormforce cover, it protects the car wonderfully.

There are two straps that go underneath the car that "should" keep it in place but in the instructions they say that you should not tie the straps too tight and allow the cover to breathe. It's been a bit windy up here over the last few days and now for the third occasion i have walked past the car to find that the front has blow up and is sat half way up the bonnet....:rolleyes: I can't put the cover back over a wet car either according to the instructions.

I then have to go and dry the car off in the middle of a monsoon and get the cover back over the front.

Has anyone else had a problem with theirs? I am now thinking about either adding another strap around the front end or just leaning a bucket full of water against the cover at the front (as it is now). The other option is to tie it down to the ground but having a pattern imprinted concrete drive pretty much rules that out.

Before Jazz mentions the Carcoon.......NO..!!

H.

Don't bother with the cover. Seems more hassle than it's worth (unless you hardly ever drive the car)!

Bingo..!!

There is a plastic eye at the front, can you use a bungee on it and connect under the car? never had this problem with mine but then mine is parked right up against the fence.

Never noticed an eye at the front. Will put the scruffs on and go and have a look. That sounds better that my bucket idea...lol..!!

I'll never use a cover again after the damage it casued to my paint work. Not for a prolonged period anyway.

To keep the front down I used duct tape. I wrapped it right over the centre of the bonnet and back under the car. Held it secure no problem.

Was yours a Stormforce Bossco?

No, but it was an expensive cover, fully water proof and breathable with a soft fabric lining. It was on the car for very long periods without being removed though which probably had a lot to do with it.

Mine will probably do all December and Jan without coming off, unless there is a really fine day when there has been no salt on the road for a while.

Just checked the cover and there is sod all at the front except a label saying "front"..!!

Back to the bucket being wedged against the number plate.

H.

My Halfords one has an elastic front & back which snuggly holds it in place, plus the straps.

Done really well in the recent windy days.

Doesn't the storm force cover have something similar? If not, then that is a stupid name for the cover :p

Length of tape mate. Im telling you. It's the answer to your problem.

What would the neighbours think?

My Halfords one has an elastic front & back which snuggly holds it in place, plus the straps.

Done really well in the recent windy days.

Doesn't the storm force cover have something similar? If not, then that is a stupid name for the cover :p

This is elasticated and has the straps. The car is in a bit of a windtrap down the side of the house to be fair. It's always the front that ends up moving.

My stormforce got ruined even when being strapped, on a very windy/rainy day I found the cover half way down the road early morning.

Would you recommend and alternative Jazz?

i have a stormforce pull straps tight no prblems ere mind i have a stillen bumper

I am not sure even if I pulled the straps as tight as possible it would keep the front secure. I may but the active spoiler down and see if that holds it in place better than just the front bumper.

H.

No, but it was an expensive cover, fully water proof and breathable with a soft fabric lining. It was on the car for very long periods without being removed though which probably had a lot to do with it.

I have had the same before on one of my MR2s, tucked it up for winter with a £100+ cover on it, unwrapped it in Jan to find the paint all marred and dull from the dust and grit that was blown under the cover while it was tired down. Nothing a dam good session with the rotary didnt sort out but not what you want to find :( :(

Now I just leave them open to the elements :(

Buy a cheap xxl cover of eBay and strap that over the stormforce, make holes on that cover near the wheels then run a string or shoe lace through the holes onto your wheels. To stop the front from lifting you will need to make holes on the front of the cover and run a long string to your wheels, just tie tight job done.

Edited by jazz1 (see edit history)

i have seen loads of paint finishes marred by cover abrasion, just leave it open to the elements, no risk of rubbing and instant access. How people can be bothered with faffing about with car covers i don't know, almost like women with two pairs of knickers on, you lose the incentive to have a quick go.

:D

Buy a cheap xxl cover of eBay and strap that over the stormforce, make holes on that cover near the wheels then run a string or shoe lace through the holes onto your wheels. To stop the front from lifting you will need to make holes on the front of the cover and run a long string to your wheels, just tie tight job done.

I'd be asking for my money back from Storm Force if i had to buy a car cover for my car cover !

This is elasticated and has the straps. The car is in a bit of a windtrap down the side of the house to be fair. It's always the front that ends up moving.

Wow, you must be getting some serious wind dude! As mentioned you could try adding more support at the front.

Bucket idea sounds good but what if that gets knocked over & if it has any sharpish edges will be bouncing off your front bumper.