The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Strange gurgleing sound?

bodilx6

When I started the car up yesterday, I had a strange but very noticable gurgleing sound from behind the firewall. It kind of reminds me of the sound when my old MK3 had a knackered head gasket.

In the last few weeks I've also noticed a comparable sound when the engine passes 2-3k revs while driving normally, but thats just for an instant at a certain rev.

I've just changed oil and that looked very nice and normal. I don't see any white stuff in the oil, and knowing the head gasket is not a normal failure in the MKIV I don't think that is it.

The car is BPU and has 100.000 miles on it. If I take the rad cover off and massage the coolant hose, it seems that it system is fully topped up. I dont have irregular idle (which I've noticed is typical after changing coolant due to air pockets) and all seems well temperature wise.

I have not leaks.

Any idea what to check?

ok, sounds like airlock is a possible culprit. Wouldn't a possible solution be to park the car on something steep or jack it up in the front and let it run idle with the rad cover off for a bit?

Might start off with topping the expasion tank a bit. It is nowhere near half full. Thought that wouldn't matter though.

Its only a problem when the cars cooling down, air can be drawn back into the system if the

coolant level is lower than the pipe inside the tank.

As long as the pipe from the cap is in the coolant when its cold it should

be okay, i just said half full as its pretty safe then

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)