The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Help diagnosing my engine rattle (Video Update)

gavin.starr

I would really appreciate it if some one could come and take a look at my supra to diagnose my engine rattle that has developed.

I currently cant drive it as i dont want to make the problem worse. So unfortunatly you will have to come to me.

It would be greatly appreciated as i would like to get to the bottom of the problem.

The car is currently sat on my mothers drive feeling sorry for itself, I wont give out its exact location as i dont want a randomer seeing this post and trying to nick it, but is is being kept in a village called Freckleton, which is just outside of Preston Lancashire.

Any help would be great, I need to know how much it is likely to cost to repair it, as this will be my deciding factor for if im going to keep it or not. Gutted:(

Many thanks

Gavin

Edited by gavin.starr (see edit history)

I'm no expert, but I would remove the fan belt and then start her briefly and do the same rev test...........if the noise is the same then this will eliminate the ancillaries driven by the belt and leave you with a possible cam belt tensioner wheel issue or engine innards somewhere :(

Sounds like big ends to me, Jack the front wheels off the ground then see where the noise comes from.

Spot on

Nothing like top end, its a big end bearing, sounding like that the crank is more than likely junk as is the con rod and oil pump.

similar noise to your old head when the buckets were worn, ok when cold and not so when warm..

btw feel free to call me over weekend for next lot of work

Will do tomorrow Jurgen :thumbs:

IMO doesnt sound like my upper engine problem I had, as mine was constant throughout the rev range, where as this is confined to a certian rev range. Sounds exactly like when my old rs turbo engine spun a bearing...

if unsure give me a ring only in darwen would be happy to have a listen in the FLESH 07969823802

WOW not only is Graham happy to go round and have a listen but he will do it naked !!!!!

Its spun an end shell in a rod, cheapest way out is a second hand bottom end/engine