The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Bonnet damper fitting help

Josh

i asume you mean the gas struts. [ATTACH=CONFIG]140042[/ATTACH]

Yeah, those. I just need to see how the bracket attaches to the bonnet hinge. It looks to me that if I fit them as the instructions show, the pipe for the washer jets get in the way.

I think just a close up picture of how the bracket is attached is all I need as I've looked through pictures of loads of Supras and it's not made obvious.

Is this any help it's the closest I could zoom in without pixelation. It's Jamie's at Suprapod.

http://tapatalk.com/mu/5284f980-2c03-f4e8.jpg

Nice one, thank you. I was searching through Facebook for pictures and you've just made me realise I have loads of pictures from Suprapod. I've managed to zoom in on a few and I think I've got it now.

Cheers chaps!

Josh you plonker. In the voice of del boy :)

Lol :D

For some reason the hooks to stop the bonnet flying off in a crash are hitting the bracket as it closes and also the screen wash line keeps forcing the strut off the ball on the bracket, which has actually cracked it and now the pin that holds it on won't go in.

Are you supposed to re-route the washer line?

The bracket that fixes to the bonnet, even though I bolted it in as tight as possible, was turning each time I shut the bonnet, putting pressure on the ball joint. The pin that holds them together has been bent and snapped part of the female bit of the joint so now each time the bonnet closes, the strut comes off (well, most of the way off). Nightmare!

Lol :D

For some reason the hooks to stop the bonnet flying off in a crash are hitting the bracket as it closes and also the screen wash line keeps forcing the strut off the ball on the bracket, which has actually cracked it and now the pin that holds it on won't go in.

Are you supposed to re-route the washer line?

you dont have much luck do you :D first fitting your rad now this :p

you dont have much luck do you :D first fitting your rad now this :p

The rad went all right as far as I remember, other than the top air feed didn't fit :p

I know, what a bugger! The bracket that fits to the bonnet has a "T" shape slot that you have to bolt through so each time the bonnet shuts and there's pressure on it, it twists and there's a lot of pressure being put on the ball joint which has bent the side of it.

I've got a length of broom handle I can send if you have binned the OE bonnet stay ;) I had a car here yesterday with gas struts, sadly it went out. I know the loadings must be fearsome, I was looking at the leverage involved when working on the engine, but didn't notice how they attached to the hinge, sorry.

I've got a length of broom handle I can send if you have binned the OE bonnet stay ;) I had a car here yesterday with gas struts, sadly it went out. I know the loadings must be fearsome, I was looking at the leverage involved when working on the engine, but didn't notice how they attached to the hinge, sorry.

I took it off but put it back on just in case. I'll take the broom handle anyway, thanks.

Thanks mate. That's how mine went, but it looks like it twisted too far and has damaged the opening at the bonnet end of the strut and now it pops out when the bonnet's about 5" from being closed.

I'll sort it out tomorrow.

Cheers :)

But it doesn't look as cool :D

Neither does holding up or not being able to close your bonnet because they have broke. Most of them are made from cheese wrapped in tin foil and last about a week, in your case even before you put them on ....

Neither does holding up or not being able to close your bonnet because they have broke. Most of them are made from cheese wrapped in tin foil and last about a week, in your case even before you put them on ....

I'll see how they go. I'll try and sort them tomorrow. The driver's side is fine, it's just the passenger side. I'll keep the stock bonnet prop on there for a bit just in case :)