The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Spoilerless..?!

Mike17

Ok guys I need you to settle an argument..!!

My husband wants to take the spoiler off while it's in the bodyshop having a respray, but I don't think it's a good idea...it must be there for a reason so I think we'll kill ourselves lol

Can anyone who has taken it off advise how much (or if not?) it changes the car?

Cheers dudes :)

Mines off at the moment with no adverse effects.

I think the stock spoiler/wing is for stability rather than serious downforce, unless your traveling at

a fair speed i doubt you'd notice whether it was there or not.

The other issue is what will you do with the 6 holes that are left in the tailgate when you remove it

Use the search button as this subject has been discussed a fair bit

So long as it is sitting low then no spoiler usually works, especially on the wide arch cars, but depends on the wide arch kit.

Best bet might be to have the spoiler removed, get the holes filled and painted, and if you dont like it then track down a different spoiler and just redrill the holes. Much easier than sending it back to have the holes filled if you decide you like it without a spoiler.

Im just contemplating taking off my TRD and fitting a boot lip spoiler from Ibrar just for a different look.

So long as it is sitting low then no spoiler usually works, especially on the wide arch cars, but depends on the wide arch kit.

Best bet might be to have the spoiler removed, get the holes filled and painted, and if you dont like it then track down a different spoiler and just redrill the holes. Much easier than sending it back to have the holes filled if you decide you like it without a spoiler.

Im just contemplating taking off my TRD and fitting a boot lip spoiler from Ibrar just for a different look.

If you take off you TRD can i pleas have 1st refusal on it?

I think the stock spoiler/wing is for stability rather than serious downforce

Yep, The spoiler is for stability under heavy braking rather than downforce. Don't forget heavy braking can occur at low MPH as well. I don't think people who have removed the spoilers have had bad any issues but part of the Supra's style is about the spoiler in my honest opinion

It's got nothing to do with braking. The spoiler puts down 66 lbs of downforce @ 90 mph (Toyotas own numbers) which equals to absolutly nothing at low MPH but quite alot at very high speeds.

I put my own back on each time I go through Germany. 120MPH+ in long sweepers is where the first generation of Audi TTs suddenly threw their rear end.

I'm not saying the supra will to the same without the spoiler, but I won't be the one finding out.

So, to the OP: If you do any VERY high speed driving, leave it on. If not, your husband (and you) will not be in any danger from removing it.

Edited by bodilx6 (see edit history)

It's got nothing to do with brakeing. The spoiler puts down 66 lbs of downforce @ 90 mph (Toyotas own numbers) which equals to absolutly nothing at low MPH but quite alot at very high speeds.

I put my own back on each time I go through Germany. 120MPH+ in long sweepers is where the first generation of Audi TTs suddenly threw their rear end.

I'm not saying the supra will to the same without the spoiler, but I won't be the one finding out.

So, to the OP: If you do any VERY high speed driving, leave it on. If not, your husband (and you) will not be in any danger from removing it.

:iagree::goodpost:

I took mine off and noticed that it wasn't as stable at high speed. At normal speeds it made no diffrents at all. So it all depends on how you drive and what sort of style route you go down. I swapped my standard spoiler for an APR carbon one and that made a massive diffrents in making the car feel very stable. Problem now is that I would like to change it for a TRD one and not sure how I would like the effect of that