The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Looks like my Carbon bonnet has died

DodgyRog

With massive regret I am going to have to paint the Jun bonnet

Well after 3 attempts the laquer just won't hold on the gelcoat of the bonnet, so I have the choice of either having to t-cut and polishing the hell out of the bonnet everytime it gets hot or painting it Silver.

So I have had to make the sad decision to paint it.

As far as I am aware, it's the only Jun bonnet with carbon showing left, but I can't live with it anymore, the fading is driving me nuts

So I guess this is one of the last pics of my car with the bonnet in carbon:(

Can someone with decent Photoshop skills change this pic to have a Silver bonnet and also do another one with Silver bonnet and no spoiler

Cheers Rog

Edited by DodgyRog (see edit history)

Couldn't you use 400 grit da pads and take the laquer off to the c/f then re laquer it ?

I did this with my TRD wing but decided to paint it black as i've no other c/f on the car.

There are a couple of issues with it which could be causing it

The bonnet is really old, maybe as old as MkIV Supra's and it's down to the gel coat, when we add laquer to it, it's fine until I drive it for a while (engine heat) or the sun comes out and it goes milky under the laquer.

After a few weeks it's quite bad (remember I am a perfectionist, so bad on my level;)) and eventually the laquer starts to lift

I have done a fair bit of research (as have Shellshocked) and it could be contaminates in the Gelcoat reacting to the heat, this seems to be the best explanation now

When I wash the car and the bonnet is hot from the sun, you actually see the milky layer appear, it's quite weird to see

Anyway, I don't have enough money to throw at it anymore, so it's going to have to be painted. I was hoping to keep the vent areas with the carbon showing, but ShellShocked have advised against it, if we paint the whole thing they can use a sealant type primer, which will prevent any further contamination/reactions

Edited by DodgyRog (see edit history)

It will look a million times better painted....! ;-)

I have a tatty Silver stock bonnet at the moment and if I am honest I do quite like it. It has changed the shape of the car completely, but the bonnet makes it stand out from the norm and I liked it (which is what matters)

A pic from the recent Plymouth meet, thanks Noz

Not one to give in but what about a c/f wrap

Believe me, I don't give up easily either, but wraping is not an option, as far as I have seen it never looks like the real thing. You can get away with it on smaller items maybe, but it has no depth when you look at it.

Certainly not a route that interests me anyway

I think it will look good painted. :)

I think it will be fine, but it's a big change and it's taking a major characteristic of my Supra away

I am still hoping to do a custom colour in the next couple of years and with the colour I have in my head the carbon will have to go anyway

Loving the photo with the silver photo, makes your car look classy and could be mistaken for an exotic italian car..! I think once you paint it, it will totally grow on you...!

IMO it looks best with the stock bonnet, she's a stunner :cool:

To be honest at the meet I was saying I liked it, but this stock bonnet is not an option as it's really rough and slightly bent

I actually said at the meet about keeping both and just swaping every now and then:cool:

It just seems a shame to cover it in paint, but I am sure it will look good when it's done

What laquer are you using? What about taking is back to the carbon fibre, hand coating it in resin, and flatting and polishing the resin. Similar to what people do with the carbon wrapping kit from carbonmods

To be honest I have no idea what laquer has been tryed, ShellShock have said they have tried 3 different laquers, all I know is one of the ones they used is used with House of Colour Candy paints as it has a high UV protector in it, I think thats what he said anyway

If you have an idea of a laquer to try, speak up;)

As for totally striping the gelcoat and redoing the whole thing, I can't see it being a cheap thing to do, but admit I have not looked into it, so if someone has an idea on this option I am listening:thumbs:

i didnt think carbon fibre was gell coated,isnt it just epoxy resin layed down the the weave then epoxy resin and then vacum packed.I may be wrong though.

Not sure mate, just going by what I have read and been told, i think it can be either, but which ever it is, it doesn't want laquer on it anymore

Sorry to hear that Rog, i know how much time you spent cleaning that bonnet but i think is the time to move on.. Or change for stock one and spent some time deep cleaning your carbon bonnet then put it on back for Supra meets etc Have Fun

It's going to get paint I think, least it will be an easy clean option, there's always an upside

my carbon bootlid has done this. It has gone milky but when polished come up like bran new but then about a week or so later or when washed it goes back to the same state. it wouldnt bother me to much as i can always paint it but my APR rear wing has started to go down the same route

Edited by fastcar (see edit history)