The mkiv Supra Owners Club

RPS Billet Triple Carbon Strapless clutch.

Terminator

Looking for objective as possible, views from experienced users.

How does it drive?

What is it like at slow speed stop starts in traffic, what sort of rpm does it need?

What is take off like; hot, cold at town speeds?

What feels is there at the bite point?

How smooth it it to drive at sensible town speeds?

Other than transmission noise, how does it sound?

Any comparison with Billet Giken Triple?

Comments compared to stock appreciated.

Trying to pick through the sales hype threads on the net is a minefield. Seems a well respected clutch in big torque Corvettes Stangs etc, want to know how it performs on our small engine.

I have indeed, got an excellent link from Lee and spoke to Jamie this morning. It appears that there are none in use in cars here. Jamie was pretty impressed with his twin, enough to convince him to go for the triple Billet. So many SF threads about higher end items seem to descend in to slanging matches, between manufacturers and their various supporters, so it is hard to pick out fact from hype. I got more useful information from big block US forums, but their cars have buckets of torque at tick over. I want a view on how these clutches behave in a low rev, low torque situation, as with our cars.

Looks like the only way to find out is to fit one and try it myself.

Edited by Terminator (see edit history)

I agree with your assessment - it does seem unfortunate that SF finds it hard to keep things totally objective, and therefore you have to wade through the misinformation. But as they have many many more high end cars than here or Australia, your chances are greater of finding, at minimum, a reasonable review of a part.

I want the RPS triple as im hopeful it will handle some drag racing, they have carbon floater plates that wont warp, the twin has been great to me, when first installed it made a fair amount of noise and gave the odd judder, after a 1000ish miles it was almost silent and very easy to live with, looks like i have to much power for the twin now though.

If i was not doing the drag thing id be tempted to go OS Giken, i hear good stuff about them, they are reported to be very easy to use which is a good thing on a street car, our very own Chris Wilson speaks highly of them and he can rebuild them, he rebuilt Jays a while back.

Phil, I have the triple plate version on mine and its a bit noisy . The car is in bits at the moment and i wont be putting it back together for awhile .The clutch is virtually new, if you want to see how it feels , your more than welcome to install it on your car and use it for a while. Unfortunately it's the hassle of installing it, would be the main problem.

Hi Michel, that is an amazing offer, thank you so much.

I think I'll leave the RPS for now. Thanks to all those who gave me their views over the phone, really good to chat to you guys, much appreciated. As I am not really into dragging the car, I think I will go with what I know and stick with OS Giken, my triple has performed faultlessly since I installed it and have been totally impressed with everything it does. I have decided upgrade to the R4C, OS Giken's top clutch, I like the internal design off this clutch, it really looks like it could take some serious torque, it has an excellent track record and has held a proven 1200bhp so more than adequate for my car.