The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Car won't idle, I have cleaned icv...

Notts_TT

Hi Everyone

I have just pulled my supra out the garage after a year of not being used or started and it won't idle, I've cleaned the icv but still no joy.

I called a local tuning / dyne company and he also said clean the icv but I told him I've already done this so he asked the last time fresh fuel was put into the car, I told him the fuel in the car was 12 months old and he said something like it's out of date and lost it's va va voom :D

He said this could be the reason for it not starting ????

What do you guys think, it doesn't even attempt to idle at all it just dies as soon as I lift off the revs.

Please help.

Thanks in advance

Hi, I sat with the revs up, and blipped throttle for 5 minutes, would 12 month old fuel not be the problem here then..?

im sure fuel is no good after 6months mate. try and drain it out (but keep it just incase) and put £20 worth of V-POWER in as it has a higher octaine level and see if this works.

if your car worked fine before you locked it away i would think fuel is no good after this lenth of time but i could be wrong.

hope this helps ;-)

How much fuel is in it?

I would be tempted to either drain it or depending on how much is in there I would fill it up and dilute the existing fuel. The problem with that is you could end up draining the lot and wasting £70 or mores worth of fuel.

I would say the fuel is the problem though.

H.

suggest you remove both ECU and throttle control ECU then inspect the mainboard for possible faulty transistors ie. meltdown, bad circuit. my buddy's Supra had the exact same problem like yours and after checking the fuel pump, relay and all others under the hood, it's finally the ECUs are the culprit and found few transistors leaking juices all over the mainboard... it's fixed now after replacing both ECUs and back in full swing! :)

Edited by fastnfurious (see edit history)

Right everyone,I put 10 litres of fuel in and I just took it out for a spin and it won't rev, if I keep my foot light on pedal it will move away very slowly but as soon as you try to accelerate it just heavily misfires and bogs out, you can hear turbos trying to spool but they just won't.

Trying to drive a auto that won't idle is an art form ....

I do feel that this is sh*t fuel still and maybe the octane level is far to low....?? How much fuel is in a tank when needle hits red, maybe it was a 50 50 mix of new and old petrol...

Please help someone...

Why didn't you just fill the tank to be sure?

I would give the coilpack connectors and spark plugs a quick check to make sure they are OK :)

:yeahthat:

10 litres won't be a huge amount of fuel to balance out the old fuel.

I am going with spark plugs if it is just spluttering.

It's not just spluttering, when you accelerate it totally bogs out as if it's cut out...

It revs smooth and clean when in neutral to a high rpm...

Abz is there a octain booster or something I could buy to help raise octane levels in the old fuel, or how do you totally drain the fuel tank.

Thanks

Talking to you is actually really difficult as you don't seem to take anything on board. The octane boosters that you get in the garages will do nothing, take your car to a petrol station and fill it with the highest octane fuel you can find. This will mix with the low octane old fuel you have and get the octane to a good level. If your light was on there is no need to worry about draining the tank.

If that doesn't work, pull the spark plugs out and check those along with the coil packs & coil pack connectors.

Or are you deliberately ignoring what is being suggested to you?