The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Been offered an e-manage for more or less free. Any gains @ BPU?

bodilx6

As payment for some help/work I've been offered an e-manage in stead of a promised Greddy replacement ECU. I wan't originally looking for any of these, but it is probably the best the man can do.

Would I have any gains from getting an e-manage in my car? I've got friends that are more or less experts in mapping (HKS though) so I can probably get that done cheaply.

My car is BPU j-spec, 6spd. Upgraded SMIC (from CW) and Walbro fuel pump. Stock J-spec injectors and tubbies. Any gains at this level?

If my turboes were to go at some point I would probably be looking into hybrids due to local expertise in this. Would the e-manage be able to handle this and thereby save me money at that point?

What is the e-manage worth aprox?

Thanks!

If you are going to mess about with the stock map do it right and fit a proper ecu. You will find more top end power as Toyota run mad rich under full boost to stop the cats from going into meltdown. With no cats you can safely pull some fuelling out, and if you feel brave and run decent fuel, add some timing. Concensus from those I trust is you can gain about 30 BHP / 35 BHP. You need something with decent resolution though. I will send you a PM later.

Great, thx Chris :)

Not running with cats.

As far as I know, the 30-35 hp is also the max. And I'm not interested in pushing the tubbies to the max. But if upgrading them at some point, I would want something "real" to handle everything and from your post, e-manage dosn't sound like it. The guy that I would get to do it is a HKS dealer/destributor here in DK, so that would probably be the way to go then.

Chris doesn't like e-manages and that's fair enough, but I ran my T67 on an E-manage Blue for a good few years quite happily, made some decent figures, started when cold or hot, and tootled around town just fine. Low boost, part boost, etc etc all OK. Sometimes had some trouble at the old sequential transition point, where it'd dip into the 10:1 afrs for a couple hundred revs. +/-20deg ignition timing control as well, which you don't get on other piggybacks.

The E-manage Ultimate does everything better and can handle bigger injectors, up the rev limit, and lots of other fun stuff to boot. For BPU I'd heartily recommend an EMB though.

However, if you are put off by Chris, drop me a line because I want a cheap EMB to stick on my friend's Tomcat V8 :D