The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Test Drive Turbo Whine

Jellybean

Sounds a bit like the one I test drove yesterday. Its not TTC though, sounds more like the first tubby is on its way IMO.

To me it is too high pitched and I dont know about anybody else but the whine in mine is more prodominant within the first tubbie; once the 2nd tubbie goes online between 3500 rpm-4000, the whine is hard to hear (may its the waste gate, louder induction noise dampening it out)

This car the whine seems to get louder the higher you rev; but the whine is too loud and high pitched for me!

Id defiantly say its an issue/problem with the first turbo as the way you have described it points to that.

In the video nothing happens till 3500rpm, I reckon you dont hear any whine in the low revs becasuse not enough exhaust gas pressue is generated to spool the knackered Tubbie 1 but higher up the revs , the extra pressure spools tubbie 1. Due to it being knackered it whines like a Be-ach

Sounds logical?

Just seen this in the check before buying a Supra guide off here; it ties in with how my car goes ; so the one in the Video ; something is wrong

When you drive the car, the first turbo should be noticeable as a whistle, and the 2nd

turbo should come in at 3800-4000rpm. You shouldn't be able to hear either turbo at high

rpm. The engine should be louder! It's normal to get a slight hesitation as the 2nd turbo

comes in but it should be very minor.

It does yes but if it isnt spooling the number 1 turbo till 3500 then there's another alarming issue at work here, more than likely VSV's. Although 3500 revs for spool up is about right for a TTC mod.

Still doesn't get around the fact one of the tubbies is in pain

Good call VSV's ; all in all I think something is wrong with her and he needs to stay away unless he can get a Supra Specialest to give it the once over.