The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Major headlight problems.

Guest tony1979

Guest tony1979

I took apart my headlights about 2 months ago via the oven job, cleaned them both up sprayed the inserts black they look perfect.

They keep misting up, today was the 3rd time ive stripped them down and re sealed them and guess what.

Still got the mist.

Ive cut away all the original sealant ive used 3 different types off silicone to seal them but with no joy.

What can i use to seal the lights up apart from silicone, thanks.

Are you sure it is the actual headlight seal thats the problem, ill fitting bulb connectors that dont seal 100% can also cause this. Sometimes a bit of vasaline around the holder before you push the bulb into the back of the headlight.

Whenever I have refurbed headlights in the past I have always used sikaflex to bond them back together, the only trouble is it is next to impossible to get them apart again but never had an issue with them fogging up as far as I know

I have a set of brand spankers and they steam up every time I wash the car. It's probably the bulb connectors but I have put vasaline on ours from day one.

I have noticed that the little rubber cups that go on the back of the light are missing from my originals. They are only flimsy rubber but I bet they keep out a lot of moisture.

H.