The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Is a restrictor ring needed for a UK set up engine and turbo?

Dim Sum

I was reading the following thread

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?94705-BPU-(Basic-Performance-Upgrade)

After reading this part :

UK/Euro/US (Export) spec:

To raise boost beyond the stock level the restrictive catalytic converters are removed, thus allowing the turbos to spin faster and produce more boost pressure. Different to the jspec, the export spec has a larger wastegate which can handle the increase in exhaust gasses.

Therefore boost pressure will be maintained at only slightly above stock levels, typically 0.85bar (12.3psi). In order to raise this further it is necessary to install a Boost controller to change the way in which the wastegate opens.

A restrictor ring is not required on the export spec

I have a UK engine and turbos fitted in a Jap import, so should i remove the restrictor ring ? or leave it on?

There's your problem right there bud ;)

No restrictor ring required on your setup. Remember to drop the gain before taking it for a run :D

Will do mate. Glad i use the search button on the forum lol.

I will remove the restrictor ring tomorrow and see the difference myself