The mkiv Supra Owners Club

garage dimensions for parking the supra?

supraGZaerotop

hi, just about to move in to my new home, recent build, and has the standard size garage, now i have measured the garage when i first went to view the property and the dimensions are main door 6.8ft and then opens up to 8ft inside, length i cannot remember but i know its long enough, just. anyone using this size of garage for theyre supra? here is a pic of the house for you to see the size im on about, i do think it will go in ok but im worried about getting out of it lol.

For what it's worth, I won't even consider a house or flat without a big enough garage to fit the Aristo (and therefore the Supra).

Must be at least 2 m (6 feet 7 inches) wide and 5 m (15 feet) long to fit Aristo, without considering opening of car doors.

Ideally, should be 7 feet wide by 16 feet long to fit car, open the doors and fit tools.

Yeah i know what your saying but its not just about me, keeping the missus happy and all, i guess il have to wait and see, 16ft long i think mine is and i know its 8ft wide.

For what it's worth, I won't even consider a house or flat without a big enough garage to fit the Aristo (and therefore the Supra).

Must be at least 2 m (6 feet 7 inches) wide and 5 m (15 feet) long to fit Aristo, without considering opening of car doors.

Ideally, should be 7 feet wide by 16 feet long to fit car, open the doors and fit tools.

Edited by supraGZaerotop (see edit history)

:yeahthat:

Why are UK garages so painfully small, a UK double garage is basically a nice sized single garage IMO.

They are based on a standard car park size, 8ft or 2400mm wide. In a car park, that's just about ok as your door can swing into the space next to you, but with a wall there, you can barely get out of the car and forget about doing any work on it.

I've probably said this before, but add an extra metres width and in twelve houses, you've lost an entire plot, a house worth £250,000. That's why developers stick to the smallest they can, plus they "know" that people don't really use their garages for cars without realising why. Its self-perpetuating.

well i really want to use mine for my supra, il keep this thread updated, pics and all, soon as i move in of course, il post some of the supe in there, hopefully :rolleyes:

They are based on a standard car park size, 8ft or 2400mm wide. In a car park, that's just about ok as your door can swing into the space next to you, but with a wall there, you can barely get out of the car and forget about doing any work on it.

I've probably said this before, but add an extra metres width and in twelve houses, you've lost an entire plot, a house worth £250,000. That's why developers stick to the smallest they can, plus they "know" that people don't really use their garages for cars without realising why. Its self-perpetuating.

i cant remember the size of mine, when i purchased a new garage door, i THINK it was about 8 foot wide, (including the frame)

enough to fit the supra in, but dont forget you need space inside the garage to alow the doors to open...

PS that wasnt the new garage door i purchased :D

my garage is no where near as big as that

i cant remember the size of mine, when i purchased a new garage door, i THINK it was about 8 foot wide, (including the frame)

enough to fit the supra in, but dont forget you need space inside the garage to alow the doors to open...

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x169/lude200/Image0224.jpg

PS that wasnt the new garage door i purchased :D

Chap down the road with a nice jaaaag has installed a shaving mirror on the left hand side of his garage door opening, so he can view down the near side as he drives in. Presumably to get the car as far left as possible inside.

Its a bit easier if you have alarm activated windows as its very easy to get in with the window down and the door only partially open.

if the garage is a bit tight for length , i just put a couple of strips of tape on the wall to line up with the wing mirror so i know am in far enough to shut the garage door.If it's a bit narrow tape a bit of carpet to the wall where the door

opens to save hitting the door on the block wall.

My garage would be fine if it wasn't for the pillar holding up the front corner of the house. My routine is:

Drive in

Lower drivers window

Switch off

Steering wheel off

Open door

Stand on sill

swing left leg over door onto the floor

Repeat with right leg

Turn on ignition

Close window

Remove key

Shut door

I just know it's going to get worse once the cage goes in! Might have to leave the drivers door bar off.

With all that messing about maybe I should just paint it orange and put a confederate flag on the roof.....