The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Picking up tomorrow!

Xzarik

Rather excited, I'm picking up my first supra tomorrow! It's a NA '95 manual in red.

Before I hand over the cash though, I'd like some informed opinions... It's got some things wrong with it but I feel it's a fair deal for the price (£3000)

• Speedo doesn't work (read 40 when going at least 80)
  • Coolant needs to be flushed and replaced
  • Front and rear shockers need replacing
  • Rear susp. bushes need to be replaced
  • There's some play in the rear wheel bearings
  • Centre console storage unit won't open
  • Cat heat shield shows signs of wear

The bodywork isn't immaculate, but at the same time at first glance is passable. Interior is good to average for a car of it's age and being realistic I'm not too fussed about the cosmetic issues. The guy selling it is a nice bloke and offered advice if ever it's needed...

So am I being swept away by my love of this car (nay, even the supra in general!) or is this fair?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's a NA manual - I can't be dealing with an auto!

I've been checking the classifieds for a few weeks hoping something would turn up, but my Lag II was written off (other party's fault) and I need a car by Saturday (insurance is only paying for the courtesy car until then)

I'd save a bit more and get some thing that needs less work and cash spent on it with fsh,never rush into anything and parts for the sup are not cheap

lots of nice cars for sale on here and you know what's been done and how they look after them.

What is that plank on the back??

Well over priced IMO

Shocks 2nd hand will be 2-300 atleast, if its the rear arm bushes that have gone they are not cheap (couple hundred per side).

That could quite easily cost you way over another 1k to get it 'right' with the body work and stuff.

Have a look around there are quite a few decent cheap NA manuals around.

the thing is, when looking to buy a supra, all you want, is one NOW and when you see one that you just love the look off, you want to pretend the negitives are really positives.

the same response from people on here will be the most logically one, due to not having that excited feeling from possibly buying a new car; is it really worth the hassle, buy into problems and the overall cost will increase very quickly.

you can make a supra look however you want, you can't fix problems just as easily. save a bit more money, or keep an eye out. you can find some nice supra's with good miles for less than 4k if you wait and dont rush into anything mate.

Look at the silver NA that JamieP sold weeks ago, that was £4k and it was mint!

Tis my car now :p

In all honesty its pot luck when buying a second hand car. Without being able to get it up on a ramp for a propper inspection or spend a day driving it around on all kinds of roads youre never going to know what youre buying into 100%. My Mrs Got lucky, She paid over a grand less than me for hers and its completely problem free. Ive not been so lucky :(

My point is this guy has been honest with the things that need to be sorted out. I would add up the cost of rectifying all issues and then see if the car is worth the total cash it will end up costing you.

From what you have said, the current issues are not cheap to rectify and will all need to be fixed before the next MOT.

I think I might have made it sound more dire than it actually is, I had a full AA inspection done and the engineer said it would still pass an MOT (also MOT was about a month ago I believe)

You see the problem is with my car being gone and needing a new one in such short notice I'm really stuck =( massive dilemma now! This coupled with the fact that I can't really get any further away than Yorkshire to buy a car and they seem to be few and far between over here.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm not taking your advice, it's all on board and I'll be considering it thoroughly throughout the day whilst doing as last minute search for another one!

P.S. The plank on the back can be replaced with the stock spoiler, it's bundled with the car (as are the original wheels/tyres and new front bumper) which will probably be a summer project.

Edited by Xzarik
Felt like I came across a bit rude (see edit history)

I think I might have made it sound more dire than it actually is, I had a full AA inspection done and the engineer said it would still pass an MOT (also MOT was about a month ago I believe)

You see the problem is with my car being gone and needing a new one in such short notice I'm really stuck =( massive dilemma now!

P.S. The plank on the back can be replaced with the stock spoiler, it's bundled with the car (as are the original wheels/three and new front bumper) which will probably be a summer project.

I can understand your dilema but this said; I think you must be getting the feeling off the guys in this thread that this isn't such a good buy.

I am getting the feeling yeah >.

Ideally I'd get budz86's supra, look beautiful... But its in Sussex. Thats probably my main issue, I don't have any way of travelling to view and purchase a car.

Anyone know of any Yorkshire based manuals up for sale at the moment! Heh...

Ideally I'd get budz86's supra, look beautiful... But its in Sussex. Thats probably my main issue, I don't have any way of travelling to view and purchase a car.

You can hire a car for 20 quid a day plus fuel so nothing is impossible. A small outlay and an element of inconvenience on your side will pay dividends.

Funny that there was a Red Facelift with some dishy wheels for sale for 3200 on Pistonheads not so long ago. Low mileage and seemed mint in the pics...

That was in your neck of the woods...

mate, save up a train fair and get a taxi at the other end!! i live in the southwest of england, i was ringing up about supra's in the north of scotland! if you find that one you've been looking for, do whatever it takes! will always be some way to get there. my dad got the train up to the midlands to pick up his mint focus, if its distance keeping you from buying it there should be nothing stopping you ;-)