The mkiv Supra Owners Club

coilover help

cossack

ive just bought a set of bc coilovers from paul, they are sitting in my garage as they came and ive not adjusted anything, just a quick question about the spring length, im just looking to lower the ride hight by 20mm from std front and back, i know this is done buy the bottom sleeve and collar nut, its the spring that is concerning me, is it set at maximum compression from the factory and should be adjusted off or is it set at minimum compressed and should be compressed more?? just dont want to wreck them by installing the strings compressed to loose or to tight!! cant see anything in the instructions to help me out much either :(

setup is purely for looks, just looking it as comfortable as possible (for a set of coilovers that is!! :D )

all help greatly appreciated, esp anyone who can give me any of their setup dimensions esp the spring compressed lengths running bc setup too :D:d

You are correct on the ride height, the bottom ring controls that.

The two middle locking rings are to control the spring preload. Whenever I have set up new coilovers on my track cars I always start with about 5mm of spring preload.

Basically,

Loosen the middle rings so that the spring is under zero tension. Turn up the locking rings until they are finger tight against the spring so it doesn't move (Zero preload).

From this point, wind up the top ring 5mm then lock it off with the second ring.

At this point fit them to the car and adjust your ride height by loosening off the bottom ring and winding the shock up or down to suit. When you are happy with the ride height tighten up the bottom ring and youre done.

So now you are running your set ride height with 5mm of spring preload. This is a good place to start. From then on you just need to balance the dampening adjustment in conjunction with the spring preload to suit the car/ driving application.

HTH

Alan

You are correct on the ride height, the bottom ring controls that.

The two middle locking rings are to control the spring preload. Whenever I have set up new coilovers on my track cars I always start with about 5mm of spring preload.

Basically,

Loosen the middle rings so that the spring is under zero tension. Turn up the locking rings until they are finger tight against the spring so it doesn't move (Zero preload).

From this point, wind up the top ring 5mm then lock it off with the second ring.

At this point fit them to the car and adjust your ride height by loosening off the bottom ring and winding the shock up or down to suit. When you are happy with the ride height tighten up the bottom ring and youre done.

So now you are running your set ride height with 5mm of spring preload. This is a good place to start. From then on you just need to balance the dampening adjustment in conjunction with the spring preload to suit the car/ driving application.

HTH

Alan

perfect mate, totally appreciate your lengthy reply for me, has really hepled me, its was the preload thing that i had heard talked about and not fully understood, thanks to you im now an expert!! lol as said, cheers mate, do appreciate the time taken :D:D

No worries mate.

One thing I forgot to mention. Before doing anything I would take the rings and bottom cups off the shock and smear copper grease on the shock threads. If you don't do this they are likely to seize after 6 months and you won't be able to adjust anything.

No worries mate.

One thing I forgot to mention. Before doing anything I would take the rings and bottom cups off the shock and smear copper grease on the shock threads. If you don't do this they are likely to seize after 6 months and you won't be able to adjust anything.

cheers alan

will do :-)