The mkiv Supra Owners Club

n/a turbo questions

viper

Hi all,

im sure this is a regular question with new members.

Im intrested of turboing my NA.

after using the very helpful search bar, iv had a good read and read alot on turbo kits and whats good and bad, what the engine can haddle and what it cant.

Iv had a look at wiffbizz or whateer they are called and they seem to be the best but here comes the problem.

Im not looking for massive power and extreme performance, id be quite happy at 5psi and little extra power.

so if you would be kind enougth to give me some idea of where to start or if theres a kit based around a simple set up i would realy appreciate it if you would post and share you knowlege.

thanks

After a bit of research into this myself I would say the Whiffbitz kit has the best quality manifold out there... This is a part you shouldn't really scrimp on because its hard enough to squeaze a tubrbo in as it is. The Whiffbitz kit appears to have good clearance due to the manifold design.

The one thing I would say however is that the Borg warner turbo in their kit seems a tad on the large side for a small power increase. You will probably benefit from a Garret 3071 instead for a smaller power hike but with throttle response and less lag.

hi mate i bought the xs power kit for my na-t and it really is a heep of s**t the wastegate has already let me down twice so im waiting for a new brand named wastegate to come in the post. so my advice is to steer away from cheep na-t kits but apart from that it seemed real easy to do! the hardest bit was drilling the sump for oil return with the engine still in place. it took me 2 nights to complete so if you get everything together first you could have it done in a day really. i am going to be replaceing all my cheep xs-power parts for good quality soon and i am going to be going with whiffbitz manifold as im sure it stated on there website it comes with a 5year anti-crack guarentee but dont hold me on that lol.

http://whifbitzperformancetuning.co.uk/toyota-supra-supra-turbo-upgrades-turbo-kits-garage-whifbitz-p-3368.html

a gt35 would spool up really good between 3.5k and 4k full boost. You dont want to spool a turbo up soon unless

your aiming for response. I find it really anoying when a small turbo spools up when i dont want it in a road going supra with 400hp...

but thats just me.

I went the custom XS power way and its working for me, altough if you have the cash spend it on a better kit as

you wont regret it later on and during instal...

hi mate i bought the xs power kit for my na-t and it really is a heep of s**t the wastegate has already let me down twice so im waiting for a new brand named wastegate to come in the post. so my advice is to steer away from cheep na-t kits but apart from that it seemed real easy to do! the hardest bit was drilling the sump for oil return with the engine still in place. it took me 2 nights to complete so if you get everything together first you could have it done in a day really. i am going to be replaceing all my cheep xs-power parts for good quality soon and i am going to be going with whiffbitz manifold as im sure it stated on there website it comes with a 5year anti-crack guarentee but dont hold me on that lol.

odd!? my wastegate has worked fine aside from some poor vacum hosing that was replaced. i guess only time will tell :D i would agree on the manifold side of things! but xs wastegates working for me.

and the xs t61 turbo works for me, and i know alot of the drifters stick with it for the robustness of it. mine spools up at 2800-3000rpm and hits straight in at 100% straight through to the red line. check out my na-t thread for the dyno read out. at 8 psi its good for 380bhp...and even the dyno guy was suprised at the turbo.

odd!? my wastegate has worked fine aside from some poor vacum hosing that was replaced. i guess only time will tell :D i would agree on the manifold side of things! but xs wastegates working for me.

and the xs t61 turbo works for me, and i know alot of the drifters stick with it for the robustness of it. mine spools up at 2800-3000rpm and hits straight in at 100% straight through to the red line. check out my na-t thread for the dyno read out. at 8 psi its good for 380bhp...and even the dyno guy was suprised at the turbo.

Loads of people have said they have had no problems with there Xs-power wastegates but for some reason mine stuck open after about 2 month of use and now for some reoson it's boosting all over the place! It has a 5psi spring and it's spiking up to 8psi somtimes and just won't hold a steady boost. I've replaced all vacume lines twice to make sure so it only leaves me to think the wastegate is broke. I've also had it apart and checked it over and regreesed the shaft but it's still overboosting. So I've bought a new precision turbo wastegate so just waiting for it to come in the post ;-)

Loads of people have said they have had no problems with there Xs-power wastegates but for some reason mine stuck open after about 2 month of use and now for some reoson it's boosting all over the place! It has a 5psi spring and it's spiking up to 8psi somtimes and just won't hold a steady boost. I've replaced all vacume lines twice to make sure so it only leaves me to think the wastegate is broke. I've also had it apart and checked it over and regreesed the shaft but it's still overboosting. So I've bought a new precision turbo wastegate so just waiting for it to come in the post ;-)

dude that sucks! i thought you'd have it sorted by now!? :( but bet you can't wait for that new wastegate to tip up :D hopefully all odd boost problems solved then ;)

Pay cheap, pay twice.

Or

Measure twice, cut once (if working on it yourself).

You are as others have said, better off going for a stock TT transplant. Then if you fancy more than 'a little' bit of power, you have the options open to you. afaik not many have got north of 450bhp on an NA-T.

guys thankyou all so much for you opinions, its just what i wanted to hear.

so lots of info on the NA-T and i still feel this is an option, i turbo'd my mk1 mx5 and it al lseems simular in set up.

Like i said im not looking for silly power, im looking fo that bit extra.

The TT conversion was always on my mind, but its an area im still a little miffed about.

Im guessing its not a direct swop? I also know the price of the TT lumps are massive alone and on the resurch i have done people say its just easyer to save up and buy a TT direct.

I realy do feel the NA-T is the way i want to go.

If you wouldnt mind giving me an idea on parts or a link to a thread i may of missed i would be very greatful.

Before on the mazda i had for the build.

Turbo with external waste gate,

exhaust manifold

turbo exhuast downpipe

Oil feed and return lines, one from the block and the return to the sump (drilled and tapped)

Coolent lines (if turbo is also water cooled)

Intercooler and piping.

AFPR (fuel pressure riser)

MSD timing box to look after timing

This set up for my old maxda was good for 8psi, but im sure i read somewear that the supra fueling is good for up to 8psi without having to add an AFPR and alos the timing might be ok too as long as its not passed 8psi due to the massive spike at high revs.

anyway, please shead some light

In all honesty I wouldn't even consider going FI on an NA without a re-map. For the amount of effort of going FI you may aswell spend a little extra on some injectors and ECU (even if its just a piggy back) and get the Fueling and timing mapped. At least for piece of mind and to acheive the builds full potential.

turbo with new ECU your looking at 340-380 depending on parts and mapper. you shouldnt use bigger injectors without a remap, shouldnt even start the car with injectors oversize IMO (though better to over fuel than under fuel). you WILL require a re-map with bigger injectors, but with a turbo your going to need a map anyway so get it done all together.

stock injectors duty cycle is actually 380cc (been tested) but anything over aounr 7-8psi you will require some. you do not have to lower compression unless you start getting into seriously high BHP figures, at which point its a must. With a good tune, 10psi would be MAX on stock internals / ratio. this would also depend on other factors, engine condition, mapping etc etc.

turbo with 5psi without a piggy back ECU (or map with ECU) just isnt good practice. you wont find many sources of information on gains as the cost to do the install just isnt worth the gain. get it mapped and your looking at well over 50% of your original BHP so its not worth the risk. plus, ECU not seeing a turbo may underfuel, which can lead to your wallet becoming very empty with a new engine.

do your research on components required, get a basic set up, then improve from there.

research -> parts -> installation -> mapping -> improvements

you can always upgrade afterwards. you dont need to buy the best of everything. im buying a lower class turbo before i spend over 1k, some parts you DO need to spend money on, a good ECU.. the rest you need to learn :) clubna-t is a good source for information.

I would love to see someone run a very low psi conversion for a while on stock everything as an experiment.

You can get a 1 psi difference in air pressure naturally, the na is seemingly known for piling in the fuel up the rev range on stock decat'd cars so a bit of boost 'should' be ok without going too lean?

If you had the time and a good AFR guage I think you could carefully self check things as the boost went up psi by psi................a fpr may well be required for more than the smallest levels of boost but again I think this could be made to work at the modest gains the op is looking for.