The mkiv Supra Owners Club

MOT fail, brake imbalance

Neil-NA

So had an MOT today and no surprises the POS failed on -

Rear fog not working, dash switch not lighting up either.

Horn not working ( i replaced wheels, the new horn has 2 pins on the back, assuming one is an earth?)

Emissions too high (putting 2nd cat back in)

Front brake imbalance, now not sure what to do with this, is this likely to be sticking pistons? i have never noticed the brakes binding and they spin freely when the front is jacked up, what should i check for?

Horn not working ( i replaced wheels, the new horn has 2 pins on the back, assuming one is an earth?)

Sounds like that might be the culprit - though sure normally the earth connects to an adapter that sits between the wheel?

(maybe your horn uses the ground via the wheel so the horn can have both the connectors on?

Front brake imbalance, now not sure what to do with this, is this likely to be sticking pistons? i have never noticed the brakes binding and they spin freely when the front is jacked up, what should i check for?

Sounds possible mate, did he mention which side causes more or less braking? Will help you narrow it down then?

My NA went through on saturday at 0.18 with no cat. What's the HC reading?

I'd clean the pads up, clean the pad carrier and work the pistons on the calipers with some duck oil. If he's a nice tester he'll check it all before he clocks it on as a retest.

Toyota :)

Approx £40 - £50 each axle but might be a bit cheaper as thats the UK seal refurb kit price

Pistons if you need any are approx £20 each, Toyota again or CW sells his own st/st version

If i were you i'd do all four calipers and bleed through new fluid, Motul RBF600 is good stuff and

not silly money either.

Be carefull when tightening up the bleed nipples as they only need a nip, calipers are prone

to cracking if over tightened

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

Toyota :)

Approx £40 - £50 each axle but might be a bit cheaper as thats the UK seal refurb kit price

Pistons if you need any are approx £20 each, Toyota again or CW sells his own st/st version

If i were you i'd do all four calipers and bleed through new fluid, Motul RBF600 is good stuff and

not silly money either.

Be carefull when tightening up the bleed nipples as they only need a nip, calipers are prone

to cracking if over tightened

Cheers fella.

Heat up car properly before retest, not only water temperature, but also let oil to warm up properly (around 82 celsius) and it will pass emissions, had the same problem on my decatted Supra, but we revved her a bit till temperature got to over 80 celsius and second attempt was easy pass :)

Aha! Yes! The loophole!!

Firstly you carry out a BET test. (Basic Emissions Test). Then it will fail a BET test and go into long test. That will then ask for vehicle specific information, which you can't select because it doesn't exist. Therefore it must only pass a pre '92 test.

Next year, they're changing the reasons for refusal term to "catalytic converter missing". Arseholes!

Aha! Yes! The loophole!!

Firstly you carry out a BET test. (Basic Emissions Test). Then it will fail a BET test and go into long test. That will then ask for vehicle specific information, which you can't select because it doesn't exist. Therefore it must only pass a pre '92 test.

Next year, they're changing the reasons for refusal term to "catalytic converter missing". Arseholes!

So with the results i posted should my car have passed?.

I will refit the cat for the day and hope it passes, he said it was only just a fail, also found that one of the caliper sliders was siezed solid, took quite a while to free up but it is as good as now so with a bit of luck that will help the brake imbalance.

Now all i have to do is work out why the fuse for the dash lights blew after we sorted the fog light (may just be a coincidence but i doubt it)