The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Standard key coding

ChrissupraSZ

Hello guys n girlies.

Im after some advice. I have the standard key from the standard alarm/immobilser from me soop.

Me key has had a hard life so i needs another one. But both toyota and lexus said " Sry we cant code keys for your supra"

honestly they were about as helpful as a dead donkey.

anyone got any ideas where i can get a new key and get it coded for me bits?

chris

Hi Chris

Are you talking about the ignition/door key or a separate alarm/immobiliser key?

I must admit I didn't think that J-spec Supras had transponder ignition keys.

I got a plain key cut for a fiver in the local shoe repair shop.

If you mean the immobiliser key, you need to contact the maker/fitter of the alrm/immobiliser.

Sorry I can't be of more help

owww now im confused.

my key has 2 buttons on it.

one says unlock the other says lock.

when i press the lock once the car locks. then a second time the horn beeps.

its got a standard toyota sign on it.

but i think it maybe just an immobilser as when i lock up i can still open the booth with out anything going off.

hmmmm

does this sound like a uk fob?

This was mentioned a little while ago. I have a key with a central locking functionality on my J-spec, but I'm pretty sure Matt Harwood said that the standard keys that did have central locking didn't come with an immobiliser in them too.

LOL, no, Supra keys don't have transponders.*

Some Japanese Supra's did have ignition keys with buttons on them. This is nothing more than remote locking. No alarm, no immobiliser. The honk from the horn is to give confirmation that the car is already locked.

*A transponder immobiliser is a type of immobiliser fitted to a lot of modern cars as standard. They usually have a type of chip built into the ignition key that the car 'reads' as the ignition is switched on. If the car can't see the chip, it won't allow the car to start. (usually corresponds with the check 'engine sign' flashing).

Sadly, the Supra doesn't have one of these... Ever... Not ANY Supra... Regardless of model... Regardless of age. :)

Originally posted by Matt Harwood

LOL, no, Supra keys don't have transponders.*

Some Japanese Supra's did have ignition keys with buttons on them. This is nothing more than remote locking. No alarm, no immobiliser. The honk from the horn is to give confirmation that the car is already locked.

*A transponder immobiliser is a type of immobiliser fitted to a lot of modern cars as standard. They usually have a type of chip built into the ignition key that the car 'reads' as the ignition is switched on. If the car can't see the chip, it won't allow the car to start. (usually corresponds with the check 'engine sign' flashing).

Sadly, the Supra doesn't have one of these... Ever... Not ANY Supra... Regardless of model... Regardless of age. :)

Ok, I've got one of these as well, but does the remote locking part of the key need to be set to the car or will it just open every Supra?

Originally posted by TazUK

Ok, I've got one of these as well, but does the remote locking part of the key need to be set to the car or will it just open every Supra?

It would need to be programmed to the car, but how. I don't know...

I'd guess it's going to be a sequence of ignition being switched on and doors opening. Something like that, but I don't suggest you randomly try it, in case you inadvertantly program out your existing keys! :eek:

Hmmm, I feel a thread reserection coming on...