The mkiv Supra Owners Club

MOT Question........

Suprash

Hi guys, feels like I havent been around in ages, so thought I had better post some rubbish to get back in on things, as looking at some of the recent posters, who the hell are all these people, guess 10oftb done well for the new members count......

Right I went to get my MOT today and was told it will fail as I havent any side repeaters. Now I have a Bomex front, and when the original stock bumper would have been on it would have had side repeaters on that, remember its a face lift model.

So I would have thought that a lot of face lift owners would have come across this when they ripped off their stock bumper, but its the first I have heard of it..........

Thoughts, anyone had their car fail on this.......

Now seems I will have to buy some cheap tacky Halfords ones to stick on for the day..........

Guest Sakura
Originally posted by Ashley Willis

Right I went to get my MOT today and was told it will fail as I havent any side repeaters. Now I have a Bomex front, and when the original stock bumper would have been on it would have had side repeaters on that, remember its a face lift model.

Got this from MOT Tester magazine (don't ask!)

What's tested?

Below we have outlined the major items included in the test. But remember this is only a guide, a lot of the test is down to individual tester discretion.

Lighting Equipment

Basically, if an external light is fitted, then it has to work. Brake lights, indicators, side repeaters, fog lights, number plate lights, reversing lights, hazard warning lights and headlights are all tested to ensure correct operation. The headlights are also checked for correct aim and beam pattern, and that they are fitted securely to the vehicle. Rear reflectors must also be 'working'.

Inside the car, warning lamps for the fog lights and hazard warning lights must work. However, if your car was fitted without any of the above items at manufacture, then they are exempt from the test, unless you've fitted them yourself.

We should point out that only the offside fog light is required to work to obtain a pass, however to be sure, check that both rear fog lights (if fitted) are in working order.

Erm, great guys, but the MOT tester already told me that, I was wanting to hear from any facelift owners that have had their stock fronts removed, have they had this issue before or is it more the descretion of my MOT tester....?????

I have the clear side repeaters on the front and from the angle they are mounted you can see them from the side, if you was at a 90 degree angle, not sure what you would see if you was looking from the side at the back end of the car though.......

Erm, great guys, but the MOT tester already told me that, I was wanting to hear from any facelift owners that have had their stock fronts removed,

Don't want to seem rude, but why listen to another owner, when the fact of the matter is that you've already been told the legal truth??

Erm, my point was that in the info someone pasted in it stated there that they were mearly guidlines, and its down to the descretion of the tester for certain things.

My main point was that I have been on this board for over 2 years and am aware of most things the Supe will fail on when you start playing around with things, and I have never heard of any owners on here having the same problems I have concerning removal of stock bumper/side repeaters......

No biggy Nick ;)

No biggy Nick ;)

No, I know mate, I only know as we recently had this issue on a MKI MR2.

*EDIT* As what I wanted to say wasn't coming out right lol :thumbs:

"you shouldn't drink if it makes ya naaaaasty" Kevin Bloody Wilson

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by SimonB

Ash, what did you do about this in the end? My MOT is due soon and I haven't got any side repeaters now. Did you bodge on some temporary ones or did they let you get away with it?

I bodged on some tempory ones, £30 from Halfords, spliced them into the original wires that should be sat in your inner wings somewhere.........they have sticky pads on them, mine stayed on for over a month and came of clean..... ;)

I bodged on some tempory ones, £30 from Halfords, spliced them into the original wires that should be sat in your inner wings somewhere.........they have sticky pads on them, mine stayed on for over a month and came of clean..... ;)

Nice, that's what I was thinking of doing, was going to go to Halfords tomorrow and have a look. Cheers! :thumbs:

Vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1986

These must be fitted with one side repeater indicator on each side. Instead of a separate lamp, the side repeater might be part of the front direction indicator if it includes a wraparound lens.

Lamps incorporating a side repeater are marked either with an 'E' mark in a circle or an 'e' mark in a rectangle above which is a number 5. Some vehicles are fitted with a wraparound lens with no European approval markings. These can be tested by standing approximately 1000mm to the side of the vehicles rear bumper with indicator on. If amber light can be seen coming through the front lens (not a reflection) this is acceptable.

Originally posted by merckx

Vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1986

These must be fitted with one side repeater indicator on each side. Instead of a separate lamp, the side repeater might be part of the front direction indicator if it includes a wraparound lens.

Lamps incorporating a side repeater are marked either with an 'E' mark in a circle or an 'e' mark in a rectangle above which is a number 5. Some vehicles are fitted with a wraparound lens with no European approval markings. These can be tested by standing approximately 1000mm to the side of the vehicles rear bumper with indicator on. If amber light can be seen coming through the front lens (not a reflection) this is acceptable.

Try telling the MOT tester that.............different garages seem to use their own slightly twisted versions of the rule book......