The mkiv Supra Owners Club

carbonetics triple clutch issus again !

scoooby slayer

got my drag radials on today and done 3 launches up the road and now the clutch wont engage ?

clutch has done 1500 miles so almost new.

it felt good for the first 2 launches, third one i was coasting down and went to put it in neutral but it was hanging in gear clutch hasnt engaged since then ?

could it possibly be stuck together ?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ive inquired how quick i can get a osg quad, i want to be at pod on 1st october aswell !

il try it in the morning once its sat all night cold but someting must be seriously wrong when a clutch wont engage, there is still some feel to the pedal aswell it hasnt just collapsed.

ive tryed ringing whifbitz but no answer there, hopefully they stock parts if i need any, should be able to get box of tmrw and have a look if its no better cold.

They seem nothing but agro them carbonetic triples, Mark Newman has had loads of issuse with his new one, i saw it removed the other day and the plates looked to be warped to me, his has done about the same miles as yours i think.

im just off to give it the bigun with the clutch engaged see if it will release it, what you running jp yours seems to hold upto it, and can i get one from the uk anywhere on monday ?

im just off to give it the bigun with the clutch engaged see if it will release it, what you running jp yours seems to hold upto it, and can i get one from the uk anywhere on monday ?

Ive got an RPS carbon twin, i dont know of anyone in the UK that would carry one in stock mate.

You need a spacer with this clutch. Im sure of it . But paul want let me have one :(. that is why this clutch don't work. My clutch has done about 1000 miles , and been refitted 3 times Paul ones, and Dude twice, and now it looks like a big papper weight.:(. What to do now any idears Paul.

what issues did you have ?

my issues have always been clutch doesnt engage properly which i have rectified now.

on mine the clutch slave cylinder wasnt putting enough pressure on the arm so i slotted the slave adaptor plate mounting holes so i can slide the slave in further to get more adjustment.

its now adjusted too much and biting point is too high, il adjust it back down tmrw.

Yeah, im going to most likely upgrade to a triple over the winter as i want more power.

surely your joking, more power ! lol

i was just looking on there site i want something fit and forget maybe the billet tripple when i remove the carbonetics garbage, for what they charge for these carbonetics clutches they are utter rubbish imo, id advise anyone NOT to buy one buy something else, mine has been nothing but trouble with not engageing properly now welding itself together !

I never had that problem welding it self together ,I did not think that carbon could do that. has your clutch got a spacer on the bearing sleeve.

its got a long sleeve that looks part of the release bearing il take a phone pic tmrw for you, is your issue that your foot is right on the floor and it wont go in gear properly ?

im guessing it is, slave needs modding to cure it i had to do mine first launch i did and wore the clutch down a few thou and wouldnt engage anymore !. be warned there definately not a good drag racing clutch fella. im very unnimpressed tbh, i gave my nismo twin death in my skyline and it took much longer to show signs of weakness.

They are not proper carbon / carbon clutches in the true sense. A proper carbon / carbon clutch is about £7K.

My take is few if any of these clutches and flywheels can dissipate the heat of drag starts, especially repeated

ones. Any clutch that uses alloy for the flywheel or parts of the flywheel would not be a suitable choice for drag

starts, IMO. Nor would I consider a Giken triple plat suitable for drag usage, it's a race type clutch.

I would think a four plat carbon / carbon clutch from the likes of Sachs or AP would be OK.

http://www.apracing.com/info/index.asp?section=Carbon%2Fcarbon+Clutches_2789

It would need a bespoke flywheel and release mechanism, but that's relatively trivial to sort out.

There must be proper drag clutches from the US, what do they use in front of Lencos and things in the US?

They are not proper carbon / carbon clutches in the true sense. A proper carbon / carbon clutch is about £7K.

My take is few if any of these clutches and flywheels can dissipate the heat of drag starts, especially repeated

ones. Any clutch that uses alloy for the flywheel or parts of the flywheel would not be a suitable choice for drag

starts, IMO. Nor would I consider a Giken triple plat suitable for drag usage, it's a race type clutch.

I would think a four plat carbon / carbon clutch from the likes of Sachs or AP would be OK.

http://www.apracing.com/info/index.asp?section=Carbon%2Fcarbon+Clutches_2789

It would need a bespoke flywheel and release mechanism, but that's relatively trivial to sort out.

There must be proper drag clutches from the US, what do they use in front of Lencos and things in the US?

jps seems to be holding upto his monster engine and thats just a twin which i think is cheaper than the carbonetics triple ! i belive these carbonetics are truely rubbish.

its got a long sleeve that looks part of the release bearing il take a phone pic tmrw for you, is your issue that your foot is right on the floor and it wont go in gear properly ?

im guessing it is, slave needs modding to cure it i had to do mine first launch i did and wore the clutch down a few thou and wouldnt engage anymore !. be warned there definately not a good drag racing clutch fella. im very unnimpressed tbh, i gave my nismo twin death in my skyline and it took much longer to show signs of weakness.

yes it is right down to the floor and will not go into gear properly, and will not go into reverse untill I turn the engine off and start the car in reverse. and now the plates inside are bent ,

yes it is right down to the floor and will not go into gear properly, and will not go into reverse untill I turn the engine off and start the car in reverse. and now the plates inside are bent ,

mine was doing exactly the same bud, the slave doesnt really have enough throw on it imo, slot the holes on the slave mount bracket and slide it closer towards the engine just by a few mm will make all the differance, ive slotted mine out so much now i went through the back of the bracket ! lol i wanted maximum force on the clutch plates to get it released and it worked. im a mechanic by trade on civil engineering and agricultural equipment and have lots of experiience with repairing machinery and the clutch kit isnt made properly well the slave mounting bracket anyways, its not good enough tbh.