The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Oh dear the rot is setting in !!!!!

dude

I think a leaking rad for long enough to keep that wet would prob be impossible, especially as anti freeze is anti corrosive, its purely road dirt and crud sitting there, still worth looking for when buying as its rad and AC out and make a new X member from scratch then weld it in.

Edited by dude (see edit history)

I bought a silver NA a couple of years ago, foolishly in the dark, and when I had a proper look in daylight it was a mess underneath, very much like the one in your photos. It looked great on the top and had a bit of MOT left so I was able to out it pretty quick and didnt really lose on it, but I guess any car of this age in the UK exposed to salt and suger mix from the roads during our winters are going to start to go this way. Something for perspective buyer to be a bit more vigilant about than before now maybe.

This is the benefit of buying a fresh import. My Supe at 14 years old looks like my Audi at 18 months old underneath.

H.

Have to agree with that, both my old red NA and the TT I have now are like new on the underside. But sadly my tailgate has just started to leak rusty water around the normal place on the widow seal.

Im pretty sure you can buy the cross member from Toyota and other internet parts suppliers.

I caught mine when i did the valve stem seals as we took the a/c rad and water rad out and i spotted

some surface corrosion which was easily rectified and nothing like the pics above.

My cars been in the UK all its life and only had a couple of small areas of surface rust on the

cross member and has no rust anywhere else ;)

I just checked and the cross member is available from Toyota for approx £65 + vat :)

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

i do see a lot like that now. i do keep them in stock as its a common thing now. usually the uk cars are the worst but have seen some japs do the same. its the panel that takes the most stick as its at the front so is exposed to everything!

Ill bear that in mind but its relativly simple to fold one up out of sheet steel and we needed one asap.

Not the same but related, mine's a facelift import that was brought into the country in 2000 and I've got rust appearing in two separate areas on the passenger side wing and door. It's next to be sorted, I've a second hand door ready to go on and will buy the wing new from Toyota rather than grinding it out and welding/filling it.