The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Clutch...

Benjy

The clutch is slipping in my Supe. Been quoted nearly £300 from Toyota, anybody know of anywhere cheapy cheap? Don't want to spend mega money on a new clutch as next year she WILL be TT'd. Come hell or high water. And when I take the engine out, I'll put a brand new, good quality clutch in.

Ideas please peoples.

The clutch is slipping in my Supe. Been quoted nearly £300 from Toyota, anybody know of anywhere cheapy cheap? Don't want to spend mega money on a new clutch as next year she WILL be TT'd. Come hell or high water. And when I take the engine out, I'll put a brand new, good quality clutch in.

Ideas please peoples.

"blueprint" make cheapy stuff... a local autofactors should be able to provide...

Blueprint are fine, I have one of their clutches, pressure plate and release bearing, it cost around £240 using a trade account (via someone on the forum). The release bearing clips they supply do not fit though.

Be prepared to change the flywheel to, mine was completely shot. Pics here: http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?248924

Have to say though, if you are planning a TT conversion in the nearish future, isn't now the time to get one installed with a better torque rating? I never managed to find one that would be suitable in time, hence the choice to go for a blueprint one...

You're probably right, but I only want to chuck a cheapo one in for now. When I TT it, I'll get a top notch one, and probably get the box reconditioned too. And as I'm in need of 4 wheel alignment, 4 new tyres, and a lil bit of bodywork, I'm trying to get her back out and about as cheap as possible. Which being a Supra, I understand is probably a stupid comment. lol

I understand your reasoning completely then :) The blueprint stuff will be fine, it's a LOT cheaper than Toyota, though definetly isn't as good quality. I got new BP parts for the clutch kit and used a good 2nd hand flywheel and replaced them myself, I think it cost around £300 total inc new GB fluid. Doing it using OEM parts and a garage would have been at least £800.

All depends on the state of your flywheel, release bearing, pressure plate, etc... They may be re-usable in which case parts cost is lower... in a worse case (like mine, where they were all shot), it'll be a lot more. I'm glad I just went all-in with the new parts before taking the box off! :)

"Nobody does an aftermarket clutch for the 6 speed Supra" is the response I'm getting from Euro's. Bunch of useless numpties! Does anybody know of a part number from ADL Blueprint/Exedy/LUK for a 6 speed that I can give them and say "Now I've done your job for you, I want a bigger discount!"

Failing this, I'll be going to Toyota. :-(

Ben I have an SZR 6 speed engine complete with Clutch and fly wheel still attached. It has been in my garage for some time so not sure if this would make a difference but I believe it's a relatively new clutch (will try and prove that for you it certainly isn't the original) Anyway I only mention it as you want a stop gap thing and are local (i'm a few miles south of Guildford) so could pop and have a look?