The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Had supra a week - comments from work.. Should I be annoyed?

supra_aero

Had supra now a week. I love it to bits, and in my opinion its up there in the top 5 coolest cars in the underground garage at work.

However I had the following comments...

"ah a rice racer!"

"boy racer car"

"bit chavvy"

And its bone stock!! No big exhaust, no wild bodykit etc. etc.

Quite grumpy about it. I don't get it. The car is iconic and has a massive following around the world. So why are they are insulting it?

And what cars do they drive I hear you ask?

Ford focus

Ford Pumas

Toyota Avensis

Vauxhall Astras

Ford KAs

Quite annoys me. How does it look chavvy?!? Even this ex I thought I'd impress with it called it chavvy. Really annoyed me.

Have supras really got that bad a following these days?

The only real compliment I got was...

"Ahhhh you're driving an old classic,...niiiice". He was dead serious about it being old and a classic. He was in his mid 30s. I guess the supe is nearly 20 years old but it doesnt look that old does it?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Take em out for a ride they will soon change their mind

I don't even need to do that, once they sit in it 95% of people say,...wow this is a v. cool car.

But if they stupid comments I don't offer tbh.

they are just trying to hide their envy for the car.

and the most important thing. It's only your opinion that matters!

I kinda agree but they say it in such a "not bothered about your car" way I'm not so sure. I never had this before with my old supra 3 years ago or whatever. Strange.

My wife calls me a chav:D I like white supras but i think the wheels and roof spoiler let it down a bit, also are they black rear lights?

They are top secret style LEDs. Same as your actually ;)

I might respray wheels grey/gunmetal or change them altogether.

Roof spoiler I like, ironically many people ask why I put it on, and are shocked when they hear its a standard option.

all jealous simple as that :)

I'm going to go with this :D

My brother calls me a chav for owning one, yet he drives his Katy price mobile sorry range rover sport. I think the fast and furious films has given it a bit of a chav status. Not the cars fault tho. Yours is nice mate. Your work mates are jealous

I can't see how they can be so inconsiderate driving euro average cars.

Them chav things :D ive gone right off mine and plan on changing them shortly.

lol, I love 'em :) Though I do have a spare set of normal ones incase I get bored.

Well my 1st question was going to be what cars they drive & you answered that! :D

What you need to understand it takes a person who are into cars or have a good knowledge of cars to appreciate it. Example I have had friends give me negative comments & the ones who have said it always have a pop at it, the main culprit drives a Saab 93 (I always remind him that it is a Vectra) & another drives a BMW 330 coupe. They both have very limited knowledge about cars, the latter could not even take into consideration that my Supra would be able to keep up with his 330ci let alone be quicker than it! When we did have a run & when I say I left him for dust (and it was a HUGE gap), he went on to slate it even more!

My colleagues at work appreciate a lot, our team seems to be full of petrol heads! :D

I think it would make a huge difference if you changed the wheels & also the side/front orange indicators. :)

F**k em, You love it and thats all that counts.

I had a lad call mine chavvy, and he had a ford fiesta in white with two blue stripes flowing over it from the front to the back, so I told him to sod off and drive off in his tesco value shopping bag (he didnt like that) :D

That's quality! :D

Whenever I tell people what I drive, they say "a Subaru? Oh cool". I get annoyed having to correct people all the time. But when I say, not many know what it is.

Everyone at work loves it, probably 'cause they're all young.

Most powerful and best (IMO and really) car at work.

I dont think your car looks chav mate, the problems with people nowadays is they are very quick at putting negative comments in, only a few people ( the not jealous ones ) will turn round and give something credit when its due.

+1 ........tesco value shopping bag :haha:

Edited by staples230uk (see edit history)

Well my 1st question was going to be what cars they drive & you answered that! :D

What you need to understand it takes a person who are into cars or have a good knowledge of cars to appreciate it. Example I have had friends give me negative comments & the ones who have said it always have a pop at it, the main culprit drives a Saab 93 (I always remind him that it is a Vectra) & another drives a BMW 330 coupe. They both have very limited knowledge about cars, the latter could not even take into consideration that my Supra would be able to keep up with his 330ci let alone be quicker than it! When we did have a run & when I say I left him for dust (and it was a HUGE gap), he went on to slate it even more!

My colleagues at work appreciate a lot, our team seems to be full of petrol heads! :D

I think it would make a huge difference if you changed the wheels & also the side/front orange indicators. :)

Yeh I may change the wheels. I may put some CCW s on. And TT conv. is on the list but not until next year. Not a priority. I hardly get to put the pedal down here with Bristol traffic!

Whenever I tell people what I drive, they say "a Subaru? Oh cool". I get annoyed having to correct people all the time. But when I say, not many know what it is.

Everyone at work loves it, probably 'cause they're all young.

Most powerful and best (IMO and really) car at work.

I get "Subaru" comments too. Are people in the South West hard of hearing?!? lol. It's like they have never heard of 'supra' before.

Tx for the kind comments guys. I'll just take it on the chin and move on. I forgot how good these cars are to drive. I love it.

I frickin' hate that! I correct them with "I drive a Toyota, not a japanese NOVA!" It actually offends me. Greatly.

I think yours looks the nuts to be honest, although I'm not a fan of the roof spoiler. And when they tell you they don't like it, or take the mickey, just reply with "It's all about personal taste. I personally think your wife looks like she's had her face set on fire and then put out with a spade, but hey, you like her!"

I've had a couple of people say mine looks like a hair dressers car. Tw@'s!