The mkiv Supra Owners Club

hi

ashbuster

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome, take your time with the buying as you have a LOT of information to take in before taking the plunge. I would always recommend buying a Supra once if you can help it, no point in getting one and not being happy with your choices :)

Are you looking for a TT, N/A or are you going for big power?

Welcome to the club :)

As mentioned by Scott, you have loads of reading up to do! Don't discount the auto's they are superb boxes. I'd high recommend you test drive one or even better if you make it to a local Supra meet where I am sure a member would be happy to take you out or give you some pointers.

nice one thanks for that

thanks guys

looking for something quick off the mark and high power

my subaru is just over 300bhp but ive always liked supras and its cheaper for me to insure a supra than my scooby

not sure why that is but i did a few quotes and all came back good

i take it the best for me to go with is a twin turbo and modify that?

ive never been in a automatic car (well thats got power) and just wondered if there sluggish

nice one thanks for that

thanks guys

looking for something quick off the mark and high power

my subaru is just over 300bhp but ive always liked supras and its cheaper for me to insure a supra than my scooby

not sure why that is but i did a few quotes and all came back good

i take it the best for me to go with is a twin turbo and modify that?

ive never been in a automatic car (well thats got power) and just wondered if there sluggish

Definitely not sluggish bud, with a high stall TC you can pretty much run rings round most people in the 6spds. It takes a heafty shift from a 6spd to run the 1/4 in similar times to similar powered auto TTs with high stalls.

There is one slight concern though. The quotes you have been running, have you been selecting Imports? If you haven't then you will need a fair whack more money to buy a UK spec. Just be sure when you are doing quotes that it is definitely a 3.0L MKIV 93-2002 IMPORT supra.

Have fun :)

thanks guys

yeah the quotes i have been doing are for a supra turbo 3.0 import

was doing the quotes with comparethemarket and coming back cheaper than my subaru classic

i thought it would be the other way around otherwise i wouldnt have bothered with the subaru and would have had a supra months ago lol

i did the quote right im sure

all my details in and when it came to the car bit i had to find the car

so i picked toyoto, then supra, then it asked engine size which was the 3.0 and then turbo, also the year i put was a N

heres a copy from my saved quotes

Vehicle Description: 1996N Toyota Supra Turbo Auto, 2997CC Petrol, 3DR, Auto

Vehicle Details:

Factory Fitted Thatcham Approved Alarm/Immobiliser

4 Seats

No Tracking Device

Right-Hand Drive (UK Standard)

Car Imported

hope thats right

Edited by ashbuster (see edit history)

thanks guys

yeah the quotes i have been doing are for a supra turbo 3.0 import

was doing the quotes with comparethemarket and coming back cheaper than my subaru classic

i thought it would be the other way around otherwise i wouldnt have bothered with the subaru and would have had a supra months ago lol

i did the quote right im sure

all my details in and when it came to the car bit i had to find the car

so i picked toyoto, then supra, then it asked engine size which was the 3.0 and then turbo, also the year i put was a N

heres a copy from my saved quotes

Vehicle Description: 1996N Toyota Supra Turbo Auto, 2997CC Petrol, 3DR, Auto

Vehicle Details:

Factory Fitted Thatcham Approved Alarm/Immobiliser

4 Seats

No Tracking Device

Right-Hand Drive (UK Standard)

Car Imported

hope thats right

Seems fine :)

:) thats good

nice supra btw

looks really nice

is the twin turbo the one for power? best for modding

Cheers :)

Definitely the one to go for IMO. Out of the box you will be seeing ITRO 320hp. With a couple of very basic mods (Decat, exhaust, boost controller) you can easily catch 400hp. If you want to take it to the max you can get up to 430hp out of the stock tubbys.

Once you are fed up with that you can get a hold of your bank manager, throw 10k+ at her and have anything from 500hp to 700hp (exactly what I'm doing right now :D ).

After that the money gets really silly.

Hi

What kind of budget do you have to buy the car ?

These cars are getting on now and buying the wrong one with little or no history could bite you

in the ass big time.

Quite a few parts on these cars are now failing due to age and mileage so be carefull or you

could spend the same again what you paid for it fixing it.

not too sure on budget yet as still looking around working it out

what mileage should i be looking for ? i know as little as possible but would you recommend a limit not to go above?

I personally wouldn't go above 500k ;)

If looked after the engines are bullet proof mate. You don't need to worry about the age or the mileage on the engine itself, as long as it has been serviced regularly and looked after properly you won't need to worry.

The one thing that mileage will kill is the handling. As Dunk said there are some very expensive parts on the supra, not least the wishbones. Pay special attention to that area, if the handling feels at all wallowy (is that a word?) then there are most likely arms needing replaced. The whole lot costs around £2k from Toyota and bushes aren't available (poly bush only which leave a lot to be desired).

nice one

the only thing that bothers me is

not ever driven an auto car , and all i can find for my budget is an auto is it would be new to me

for instance if you want to overtake on a motorway or even on a track and you drop down a gear for more acceleration then how would it work in a auto?

would slamming your foot to the floor give you enough power to overtake easily enough?

thanks for the replies guys

and im in walsall josh , not too far will defenatly come to the meets

nice one

the only thing that bothers me is

not ever driven an auto car , and all i can find for my budget is an auto is it would be new to me

for instance if you want to overtake on a motorway or even on a track and you drop down a gear for more acceleration then how would it work in a auto?

would slamming your foot to the floor give you enough power to overtake easily enough?

thanks for the replies guys

and im in walsall josh , not too far will defenatly come to the meets

When you put the foot down you will hit the kickdown switch. This lets the ECU know that you want to pull hard so it will work out what the lowest gear it can put you into for maximum acceleration and do it. Does it in no time so you don't need to worry about it. Most of the time you won't need the kickdown though as half throttle will pull like a train.

When you put the foot down you will hit the kickdown switch. This lets the ECU know that you want to pull hard so it will work out what the lowest gear it can put you into for maximum acceleration and do it. Does it in no time so you don't need to worry about it. Most of the time you won't need the kickdown though as half throttle will pull like a train.

I win

nice one guys

so really if you slam it too much it will just spin

didnt realize it worked like that

:)

I Stock TT auto shouldnt spin that much at all. My uk Spec never stepped out on me. Ive seen BPU cars spin alot. These cars will bite you if you abuse them make no mistake. Once a big car like this lets go they are very hard to get back no 4wd here