• Syvecs S6
    • TOMS
    • LinkPlus G3
    • MAP2
    • Power FC
    • E-Manage Blue
    • OMEX 710
    • Other (please specify)

Recently I've been talking with a friend who has an old school Porsche 911 Turbo and is looking to run a GT35, it's amazing the differences in technology the Supra community use vs the Porsche community (and the massive cost differences).

We then got talking about ECU choice and he's said that there's a favourite amongst some Porsche fanatics and I can't say I've ever heard of it before, the MBE-9A8 / 9A9

http://www.sbdev.co.uk/Engine_Management_Systems/ECU/MBE_ECU&Software.htm

To me it looks a little rudimentary once you compare to say the S6 (http://www.syvecs.co.uk/downloads/Syvecsfeatures.pdf) feature list. Not that I can find an MBE, accordingly it's used more in race cars and bikes, whereas the S6 is more a 'general purpose' ECU, which didn't quite sound right to me.

Has anyone heard of this ECU? Also I thought I'd put a poll up seeing now what ECU/Piggyback people are using (please let me know if I need to add options) as it seems according to the ECU register there are 12 in total inc piggybacks.

I apologise if this is a bit of a duplication to the ECU register, but this subforum it'll get more visibility as well as hoping for general discussion of ECUs and their differences.

Edited by caseys (see edit history)

E-Manage Ultimate - not on the list :cry:

I'm not sure how far you'll get with this :) Most ECUs are capable of doing what people need, so really it's down to who you've got doing the mapping. If I went standalone it's be the Syvecs/Ryan combo all day every day. That ECU has a lot of features, especially around engine preservation under problem conditions, but, they are only ever going to be any use if the monkey pushing the buttons has a clue ;)

Edited by Ian C (see edit history)

I used to have an AEM v1 on mine, it was a perfectly able ECU however Ryan recommended that I swap over to the Syvecs for various reasons. I now have Ryan's Syvecs and TBH cant tell much of a difference other than the car starting slightly better when cold (perhaps I don't push the car like others) :)

Had the AEM v1 and TBH I had a few pro lens with it. Hot/cold start it did not like had to feather the throttle or it would cut out.

Ryan tried everything to sort it, soon as I went syvecs problem solved straight away. Be the last ECU I buy. Does everything it says

On the tin. :)

a couple you forgot about:

- emanage ultimate

- megasquirt

- mapecu 1

- mapecu 2

- stinger

- apexi SAFC

I've asked a Mod to mod the poll, I thought MAPECU 1 / 2 were just revisions.

I may get the poll modded to EMB / EMU etc, but then we'd have to have all the breeds of FCON, Motec etc.

I didn't think anyone had run a megasquirt on a supra?

Would agree with TR on the SAFC.