The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Oil & Water temperature sender units for HKS gauges.

pedrosixfour

Hey folks.

This isn't my actual sender unit but I find myself in the same situation and mine is of the same variety.

I have no part number for it so I have no idea if the current HKS range is compatible

Anyone have any ideas where these might be bought new or even second hand provided they are in useable condition.

I need two, one for the oil temperature and one for the water temperature. The same sender would probably suit both applications.

Would I be right in thinking that any temperature sensor with two wires coming out of it could be could be joined to the original wiring & plug?

Thanks in advance of any help.

Edited by pedrosixfour (see edit history)

hi mate, ive got greddy gauges, they will be the same principal.

the water temp & oil temp are the same sender (just a thermometer)

so the wires on yours have just snapped off have they? you still have the metal thermometer end & the wires?

yea just join/solder them back together if you can (if there is enough wire left at the sender end to attach to)

if not ive had replacement gauges from ebay USA....

Google HKS Europe (here in England UK), ask for Nathan and see if they list new senders still. If not you need to see if they can tell you anything to help source an alternative, or you could see if you can get pins inside the insulation that's left on the senders to get a multimeter on them and measure the resistances yourself, in water that's raised in temp with a thermometer in it, and see if something else will work. I will look for the adaptor for the sump tomorrow, have been out most of today, sorry.

Spoke to Nathan Chris, he can't supply sensors or recommend anything to use instead.

I can repair the oil temp sensor to get the resistance v's temperature change table and hopefully I can match it to some other sensor which is available.

On the subject of the sump plug adaptor, please don't waste any time looking for it for the moment as I can't guarantee that any sensor I do find is going to have the same M10 x 1.00mm thread as the old sensor.

Edited by pedrosixfour (see edit history)

I think I'll risk buying one of these tomorrow after I do the resistance v's temperature test on the old sensor tonight.

http://cgi.ebay.ie/AUTOGAUGE-OIL-AND-WATER-TEMPERATURE-SENSOR-/270790418246?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3f0c5ddf46

I'll do a similar test on the above and if it reads the same as the old sensor I'll buy a second one and adapt the guage wiring to suit both.

I don't see much point in paying €100 for a GReddy unit to be shipped from the US in the hope that it may suit the gauges.

hi mate, ive got greddy gauges, they will be the same principal.

the water temp & oil temp are the same sender (just a thermometer)

so the wires on yours have just snapped off have they? you still have the metal thermometer end & the wires?

yea just join/solder them back together if you can (if there is enough wire left at the sender end to attach to)

if not ive had replacement gauges from ebay USA....

Oil temp sensor snapped at the plug, I have that repaired.

Water temp sensor snapped at the fitting, impossible to do anything with it.

Am looking for an alternative to one, perhaps both of the old sensors but Greddy prices are a bit rich for a gamble!

i got one from ebay for £7 altered the wiring and made the hole bigger retaped thread, it works but reads 30c over consistantly.

Two extremely useful pieces of information gents, thank you.

@ Slayer - Fitting an extra resistor in series to the circuit would probably rectify that problem, wouldn't it?

@ Chris - Using Bosch units certainly wouldn't hurt in the reliability stakes but I see the sensors are all M12 x 1.25mm tread minimum, is it possible to retread to 1/8NPT or M10 x 1.00mm?

I had some HKS sensors etc installed in my car - but no gauges :(

I removed them but can't remember if I still have them, I'll have a look for you.

I've only just spotted this post!

If you could do that mate I'd be very grateful.

I've done a repair on both of my sensors but I'm none too optimistic at this stage. Both were broken at the probe end but I managed to cut open the outer casings, remove the cement from around the wires without damaging their individual insulation, do a solder and heat shrink job on both leads of each sensor and get them back together. What have I got to lose?

Apparently the sensors for the current range of HKS DB gauges aren't compatible with mine as they work on different principles, thats according to HKS Europe.

But thanks for looking!:)

I seem to remember taking the big item off of a sandwhich plate. Yeah sure, the only thing is though becuase I never had the gauges I can't say if it's working or not.

It's probably the engine oil pressure sensor then mate.

Bearing in mind that the temp sensor is a bit of an unknown quantity what do want for it?:innocent:

Are there any obvious breaks in the wiring?