The mkiv Supra Owners Club

brands hatch didnt go so well :(

mellonman

after hammering it round brands for a good 15 minutes solid, thinking to my self after doing the brake works after last time they are so much better this time then its happend . steam out from under the bonnet oopps red flag /lights thats me done, got back to the pits before needle went into the red. opened up the bonnet and ...........

i think i will let the picture tell the story

IMG00338-20110912-1825.jpg

Gutted for you matey. I kept driving in my old calibra once with smoke... 10 mins later it threw a rod. Turned out it had a lightened and balanced bottom end, which I hadn't know about! I'd always stop to make sure now!

Any idea of the damage so far?

not a clue yet on damage, but the looks of it giving it the beans over the last couple of years with that bov it that place may have been putting some extra wear on the bend

it was a bit tight but didnt think much of it, but when getting hot and expanding it must have been touching and rubbing, thats my guess at the mo will find out more tomorrow. it happend as i was coming up to druids from the padock hill bend so im hoping the hose hit the bov bracket and caused the split, anyway temp was not in the red by the pit so might get lucky

I guess that isnt a Samco hose :shock:

That it was not did look a very cheap one to be fair.

the temp was climbing all the way till i switched the engine off , when i opened the bonnet there was still some water at the back part of the hose bubbling away so hope fully sensor was still wet, funny it went when it did as it was nearing the end of the session and was slowing right down and doing cooling laps a good 30% slower .

i have ordered a new hose just wait for that to get here and fit it then see what happends

if it was preasure that done it what would cause it to get that much preasure? small water leak then losing coolent then makeing whats left steam?

I've had a silicon top rad hose on my car for years and its fine. Along with all

the other silicon hoses on my car that have been on for years without a problem.

Their not cheap ebay one's though which i'd say was the problem, saying that a

properly made silicon hose isn't exactly expensive.