The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New to supras. help and advice appreciated

Guest SGXander

Guest SGXander

Hey Everyone,

I'd like to introduce myself and ask for some help.

I'm Alex. Really heavy BMW enthusiast and know my way around the mechanics of a car. Inline 6s are my favorite type of engine and I am looking to branch out and get a Supra.

I'm selling my M3 at the moment and will use some of the proceeds to get my first supra.

so help:

If i budget £5k to get the car will i be able to pick up a moderate 6 speed manual tt?

is this the right model to aim for? (for mod purposes)

i should mention it is going to be purely a toy car and my goal is to get it to do a standing 1/4 in

all things considered where should i start on mods / what is required?

Thanks in advance and look forward to meeting any of you

Hi

10 sec quarters are just a bit out of reach for a TT, you'll need a single turbo with either a 6 speed box

or a modified autobox such as Titan sell.

5k will get you an auto tt but you'll need a bit more for a 6 speed.

Then a chunk of cash turning it into a single turbo with all the relevant mods req

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

Guest SGXander

Hey thanks for the responses.

mod money is more of a tbc for me :)

so how much do I need to get a 6 speed tt sorted? I would prefer to keep to a manual for now until i asolutely have to change.

what mods to start with?

drive them both then see what you think i have driven both and dont like the manual,the auto can still hold 500 bhp but would struggle with 10 sec, keep a eye out on here and you might get a single 6 speed come up for 10-15K which you wouldnt need to spend on, but a basic ropey 6 speed minumum is about 6-7

As above, a TT6 which needs some work would be around 6-7k, you would be looking at around the 9-11k for a decent one.

If the quarter mile is your main target then you mind be worth getting a car with hi-stall? Most of the quickest stock times are auto's.

As also mentioned to get into the 10's you would ideally need to be running a single turbo in the region of 600-800bhp, the trick is traction (I should know) :D

Guest SGXander

Awesome.

well its a target for a reason ;)

so switching a TT to a single T is the answer and finding a 6speed is a good idea?

surely one that needs work is fine as I'll need to do plenty to the internals to bring it up to par any way?

Awesome.

well its a target for a reason ;)

so switching a TT to a single T is the answer and finding a 6speed is a good idea?

surely one that needs work is fine as I'll need to do plenty to the internals to bring it up to par any way?

The stock block can pretty much handle 600bhp, if you are aiming for more then I'd consider a built block ;)

The autobox can handle 500bhp, so if you want more then the best option is either 6 speed or built box like Titan. :)

Guest Craig mkiv
You may need a bigger budget but some bargains do pop up from time to time.

Welcome..!!

H.

So True Havard

I got my TT6 at a bargain price ;)

But I'm paying the price now :taped:

Blown head gasket:blink:

Guest SGXander

Yeah I see. ok thanks a bunch for the info guys.

Next question:

anything to look out for in particular with the tt6s?

whats the first order of business for power gains?

Edit: are there any tt6s for sale here :p

Edited by SGXander (see edit history)

Yeah I see. ok thanks a bunch for the info guys.

Next question:

anything to look out for in particular with the tt6s?

whats the first order of business for power gains?

Edit: are there any tt6s for sale here :p

There's an excellent club written buyers guide here which I think you'll need to be a member to access. You'll also have access to loads of other docs, tuning guides, manuals etc so well worth it.

The Classifieds section is your best bet for current available cars

How much do you think this is going to cost you bud? The reason I ask is that your budget is way lower than is required to get the base car that you are after and your target is a 9 second quarter mile. You're going to need a near 1000hp car to get that, and that's if you set it up for drag only. If you want a street car you are looking more at the power levels that JamieP and a couple of other members have.

It's 10s of 1000s of £s to get there bud. You would literally see next to no change from £30k to do the job properly..... and that isn't including all the niceties that you could add along the way.

Guest SGXander

no reason it's not doable though.

in my opinion if you don't aim high you'll never reach the stars right?

It's a project and to be a bit of a laugh. If that kind of money needs to be spent then no reason buying a mint-condition base car as I'm going to destroy it.

correct if I'm wrong...

no reason it's not doable though.

in my opinion if you don't aim high you'll never reach the stars right?

It's a project and to be a bit of a laugh. If that kind of money needs to be spent then no reason buying a mint-condition base car as I'm going to destroy it.

correct if I'm wrong...

There's mint condition (11k) and theres dreamland (5k) though. If you want a 6spd for 5k (where the gearbox bits alone are worth 3k) you're going to have to find a blind idiot who has no idea what side the steering wheel is on to sell to you. These bargains do come up, some people have more money than sense and sell them for buttons... some people are in desperate need of cash.

But you are at least 3k off from a reasonable running 6pd TT IMO.

In my opinion the base car is everything when going for a big build. If you don't buy a very good base car with good chassis, suspension and bodywork etc it's going to cost you a fortune to put right when those jobs are needing done. The wishbones alone for the Supra are £2k+.

The fact that you are budgeting so low makes me think that you are dreaming. You have no idea how many people, like yourself, come on here telling us in their introduction what they have planned and how they are going to do it with a shoestring. None have came into fruition so far and the ones that have tried have usually been crying over blown engines. I honestly don't think I've seen a budget Supra owner do well. Oh, and

I'm very happy to be proved wrong though :)

well if that's the case then I'll just have to up the budget for the base car..

Thanks

As Scott mentioned & he talks a lot of sense (most of the time... apart from when his talking about me :D), but getting a base car right is very very important. Think of it as your foundation, you skimp out here then it could cost you more. Also with regards to the drag strip, a lot of other factors would need to be taking into consideration, getting a

Good luck on your project :)