The mkiv Supra Owners Club

line lock weird results

TT Paul

followed this http://www.supraforums.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-535644.html

problem is its locking up drivers side braskes front/rear

the pipe in red box is the rear pipe on master cylinder which goes to lower port on line lock,

the top port on line lock goes to master cylinder as per instructions!!!

jspec, tt, abs any help please;);)

Photo0063.jpg

strange why has it locked front and rear though so pipes on abs need swapping then??

It's locked the front and rear because something after the master cylinder isn't setup right. I'm guessing it's the pipes leading out of the ABS unit that are the wrong way around. It should be fairly easy to tell as they will be crossed over at some point.

This has nothing to do with what you have done with the line lock unit btw. This is just a mixup that has happened in the past.

Hold on....

Need to be careful with this, as it sounds like the master cylinder has dual feeds (which rightly it should have).... I've not looked into too much detail at the supra braking system recently, but I understood from the basics in mechanics that there should be diagonal opposite systems, ie front right+rear left and front level+rear right to help mitigate any failure issues....

Hold on....

Need to be careful with this, as it sounds like the master cylinder has dual feeds (which rightly it should have).... I've not looked into too much detail at the supra braking system recently, but I understood from the basics in mechanics that there should be diagonal opposite systems, ie front right+rear left and front level+rear right to help mitigate any failure issues....

it does have dual feeds Gav, front and rear IIRC. Every line lock I've seen connects to the master cylinder as the OP has it. What I don't know is if everyone ditches their ABS when they do this or not?

it does have dual feeds Gav, front and rear IIRC. Every line lock I've seen connects to the master cylinder as the OP has it. What I don't know is if everyone ditches their ABS when they do this or not?

The line lock is plumbed correctly, never seen this result before so Scotts conclusion is prob spot on. I do have a ABS delete kit if its needed !!!

The line lock is plumbed correctly, never seen this result before so Scotts conclusion is prob spot on. I do have a ABS delete kit if its needed !!!

seems tobe that scotts on the right track and john.. need to look at pipes see if any strange things going on as gav said be careful which i will thanks again guys

Good stuff.

Its actually good you found that. Losing an axle of braking would be tricky, losing a side would be extremely dangerous.

Pretty much instant spin....

We used to train people to handle this at BMW advanced driving, by disabling the ABS and then two wheels on the skidpan and two on the tarmac, and it was frightening JUST how quick the car can turn round on you....

What difference does auto/manual make when burning up the rear wheels?

well with a auto you can just put your foot on the brake and power through the rears and light up the tyres all you want with only a slight move forward. but with manual its abit harder to lift the clutch and press on the throttle and brake at the same time.

Pretty much instant spin....

We used to train people to handle this at BMW advanced driving, by disabling the ABS and then two wheels on the skidpan and two on the tarmac, and it was frightening JUST how quick the car can turn round on you....

I've done it on ice and it's scary. I didn't catch it, I wasn't even close, I reckon I could do it 100 times and still not catch it lol.

well with a auto you can just put your foot on the brake and power through the rears and light up the tyres all you want with only a slight move forward.

You can do that with a manual too, it burns out your rear brakes though and isn't good for any part of the drivetrain. Queue boiled fluid, gummy rear pads and short lifespan on everything.

If you're going to do a job, do it right ;)

So how the hell did the OP's brake lines get crossed in the first place?

I deleted the ABS unit on mine a fortnight ago and I can confirm that the car had a dual circuit system , front axle and rear axle as opposed to the diagonal lay-out of some cars.

I have a new line lock kit to fit as well, just in case I'm finding I can't kill the W58 quick enough on a track.