The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hello!

Guest hammond

Guest hammond

Hey guys!

I currently own a kit car but am on the verge of selling it for a car I have always wanted as a kid, Toyota Supra.

After hunting around all over the internet seems like I can only afford the single turbos automatic.

Having never driven a automatic, what are they like in the supra? Can they still be tinkered with? Do they still go like **** when you put your foot down?

Cheers guys, will appreciate any info you can give!

Welcome mate.

What websites are you checking? The supra didn't come in single turbo bud, well not the mkiv anyway. If you are looking at single turbo cars then they have been modified to that level. Single turbos are generally 500+ horsepower so quite a jump from stock levels.

Any variant of TT will seriously shift. Most things on the road will be left for dust by a BPU Supra so they aren't slouches.

You can get a manual N/A for good money, if you really want the manual, but if power is what you crave then there is no comparison.

Happy hunting :)

Welcome

Whats your budget ? dont forget to factor in keeping it on the rd, their getting on now and can cost

a few ££'s as Toyota parts aren't cheap

Have you had any insurance qoutes yet ? how old are you ?

It would pay you to see if any members local to you would take you out for a spin

in the differant variants.

You'd have an idea on whether you need just an NA with 230 hp max, TT with 450 hp max.

or a single Turbo with silly hp :)

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

Guest hammond

Have around 4k to spend, but dont mind fixing ones that need anything doing.

I am 23, and have had quote for about £1k on a turbo automatic. Seems to shoot up when I go for any other model.

Not really looking for a N/A, would much prefer a turbo model ;)

Didnt know that they only came as twin turbos then? So I assume the autos are also twin?

I am 23, and have had quote for about £1k on a turbo automatic. Seems to shoot up when I go for any other model.

Didnt know that they only came as twin turbos then? So I assume the autos are also twin?

They come in N/A and twin turbo, autos included.

You will struggle to get a good TT for your budget but if you are patient and know what to look for you might get lucky.

One thing to be careful of is that you are being quoted on a MKIV twin turbo and not a MKIII. You're quote is very good but it is a common mistake by the insurance companies.

Edit: also be careful that you are being quoted on an import as you won't get a uk car for that money.

Read the Supra model/buying guides.

With a £4k budget, you can either get an NA manual, or up the budget a bit and get an auto TT.

Yes both auto and manuals are twin turbo in their O/E format

Was your quote on a UK spec or an import ? who was that with as a lot of ins brokers havent got a

clue regarding mk4's, some even give you quotes for the mk3 as it comes as a single turbo supra !!

Guest hammond

Have just gone through it all again and was quoted for

TOYOTA SUPRA TWIN TURBO AUTO 2997cc 3 DOOR 1993-1996

I will be hunting and viewing alot before I buy, and if I need to up my budget a bit for a good one I will :)

Have just gone through it all again and was quoted for

TOYOTA SUPRA TWIN TURBO AUTO 2997cc 3 DOOR 1993-1996

I will be hunting and viewing alot before I buy, and if I need to up my budget a bit for a good one I will :)

As Dunk says, that's a UK spec quote. They are a LOT cheaper to insure, often half the premium for younger drivers. You would need to up your budget by a massive amount, almost double, to get a UK TT unfortunately.

Good luck in your hunt though :)

Without shopping around, if I check insurance with Admiral, my UK TT6 comes out at £880 a year, whereas they wanted over £2,000 for a J-spec (if I searched around, I'm sure I could have found it for less).

Very best of luck with your search :)

Oh and I'm 22 btw.

After hunting round, the auto turbos are a pain to find at the right price.

What are the n/a's like to drive anyone? They have a 3.0 engine but the car is quite big so how do they pull? And what bhp do they have standard and what are people running on here?

Cheers!

I think you can find a decent TT auto for £4k now, unfortunately! I sold mine for 4k a couple months ago.

They definitely do go for that money but I think you need to add at LEAST 1k-1.5k for a truely decent one. I didn't see your car so can't comment on how it looked but a couple of months ago I sold a friends car on here for 4500. It could have done with a bit of paint so it wasn't mint, the wheels needed a refurb, etc. I think it sold for a little less than it is worth given the spec and what it had (I would have said 5k easy) but that's the way the market is.

If you want to get a good TT the budget will need to be at the very least 5k IMO. For that you won't get a minter, you won't get the best you will just get a decent car.

What are the n/a's like to drive anyone? They have a 3.0 engine but the car is quite big so how do they pull? And what bhp do they have standard and what are people running on here?

They are the same as the TT only with less power. They are still a 3.0L so have reasonable grunt, the torque from them is fantastic and higher than a Subaru Impreza WRX. Power comes in at 220 in standard guise but most will have lost 1 or 2 horses along the way so the best you can hope for with acceptable mods is around 220 TRUE horespower.

Most people on here are running an exhaust, double decat & filter. Some are running tubular headers also. Depending on the condition of the engine that little lot could see you up to 230hp but it's a lottery really.

I didn't mind the N/A to be honest, it would have to be a manual for me though.